Like Tree1Likes

Moving to HK from the UK and based on a local package?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Moving to HK from the UK and based on a local package?

Hi guys,

I am new to the site and need some help.

I have been offered a role in HK within my current company. We are a global company and big in the USA and UK and we are just starting out a new operation in HK.

I have been with the company for 4 years and are one of their top sales reps. They need my help and want me to go to Hk, to help progress the team, develop them and critically help sell into new markets.

Unlike most companies, they are not offering big expat packages, huge relocation fees and ongoing assistant. They are positioning this as a "Local package," and a permanent transfer. I will need to re-apply for my job here if I come back.

So the question is, I have been offered around £5,000 a year less than I earn in London. I feel my rent would go up, outgoings higher as I wouldn't have my friends around me hence the need to go out more.

Does anyone know if this is common? should I be pushing for more? as right now it doesn't seam too compelling to go.

Any help would be appreciated.

one other thing, the company also isn't helping with rent either

Remember that tax here is well under half what it would be in the UK. Capped at 15%. And no VAT either. Apart from accommodation most other things are similar or cheaper price than in the UK. Accommodation is similar cost to Central London.

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    Remember that tax here is well under half what it would be in the UK. Capped at 15%. And no VAT either. Apart from accommodation most other things are similar or cheaper price than in the UK. Accommodation is similar cost to Central London.
    Thanks, good to know.

Can you help with a few costs:

1)What would the cost be on an average night out?
    2)What do I budget for Utilities roughly per month - I will have a 1 bed place in Central?
    3)What things do I need to think about over and above rent? do I pay National Insurance or any other costs?

Thanks again

1) Anything from HK$100 to HK$1000... It's an impossible question to answer. A pint of beer is anything from HK$20 to HK$90, depending on where you drink (much as in London).

2) HK$100-200 for gas depending on how much cooking at home you do. HK$150-1000 (winter to summer) depending on how much you run the aircon. Water HK$0-50 per month depending on how much you use. Fixed Broadband about HK$200 per month. CableTV depends on how many premium channels you want.

3) Only MPF (and maybe only that after the first year) - 5% capped at HK$1,000 per month. You can get it back when you leave. It's a mandatory savings scheme.

(There are many, many past threads here on this by the way)

Last edited by PDLM; 13-03-2011 at 01:59 AM.

Also, saying you will be offered GBP5000 less than the current UK package isn't saying much.

If it's5k off a 100k package, fine, if its off a 30k package you might just struggle.

Your main costs here is going to housing and after that it is pretty similar to or cheaper than the UK. Drinking in premium places is expensive (no more than say Oxford Street in London). Meat etc which is imported is also expensive but food is not going to blow your bank account. You can eat out cheaply. Utilities are cheaper than the UK.

Moving with family ?

Quote Originally Posted by UK123:
    Hi guys,

I am new to the site and need some help.

I have been offered a role in HK within my current company. We are a global company and big in the USA and UK and we are just starting out a new operation in HK.

I have been with the company for 4 years and are one of their top sales reps. They need my help and want me to go to Hk, to help progress the team, develop them and critically help sell into new markets.

Unlike most companies, they are not offering big expat packages, huge relocation fees and ongoing assistant. They are positioning this as a "Local package," and a permanent transfer. I will need to re-apply for my job here if I come back.

So the question is, I have been offered around £5,000 a year less than I earn in London. I feel my rent would go up, outgoings higher as I wouldn't have my friends around me hence the need to go out more.

Does anyone know if this is common? should I be pushing for more? as right now it doesn't seam too compelling to go.

Any help would be appreciated.
    Tax is nice and low in HK, but I think you should be pushing for them to cover your accomodation costs. Also, you should push for a higher salary that you get in the UK - Asia is where the growth is, so you need to convince them you are an investment worth making.

At the end of the day, the decision is not (and should not) be about money. Do you WANT to come here? Does it excite you, terrify you or are you indifferent? If you are interested to come, you can make a difference in a new piece of your firm, then forget the money (well, negotiate as well as you can, obviously) and come for the experience. If you are good at what you do then not having a fallback is irrelevant. However do bear in mind that "marketing" in Asia (depending on the product) can be completely different to marketing in the UK. It certainly is in my field. You might want to assess how well your kind of skills are likely to fit here.

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    At the end of the day, the decision is not (and should not) be about money. Do you WANT to come here? Does it excite you, terrify you or are you indifferent? If you are interested to come, you can make a difference in a new piece of your firm, then forget the money (well, negotiate as well as you can, obviously) and come for the experience. If you are good at what you do then not having a fallback is irrelevant. However do bear in mind that "marketing" in Asia (depending on the product) can be completely different to marketing in the UK. It certainly is in my field. You might want to assess how well your kind of skills are likely to fit here.
    Thanks for your help on this. I totally want to come, I have been to HK several times and I love it, I love Asia and I totally want to be part of the experience. The HK office is growing fast and doing really well, they just need to add heads. Also they need me to go train the local hires (As they haven't so successful) so it sounds an exciting opportunity.

My feeling is I need to push for a slightly better package or help with housing. I believe my costs will be higher in HK, especially rent, going out more because of trying to make new friends. I am not greedy, just want a fair deal.

Depends what you want and why you're doing it.

Seems that you are saying that you are one of their top people and they want you to relocate in order to head their team and in order to encourage you to re-locate they are tempting you with......a pay cut?

Of course, if it's you that wants to go to HK and they're not really bothered if you go or not and have said, sure, if you like, but it'll be at a reduced salary as we don't have a budget for any more then it's a different scenario.

So really depends how much they need you/you need them.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast