Planning to move to HK some advice please

Smile Planning to move to HK some advice please

Hi, I'm new to this forum. I've been looking around but I have a couple questions. I hope you guys can help.

I'm planning on basically dropping everything and moving to HK in June. I'd have just graduated from College and wanted to take 6 months to a year off and experience HK. My plan is to go over live in a hotel for a few days while i look for a serviced apartment in Causeway Bay. After that's set try looking for a job through a company that can sponsor me a work visa.

Does this sound like a good plan or is there a better way about doing this?

any info would be highly appreciated. Thanks

What is the most critical point of failure in your plan?

If you have a relevant degree then it is possible to find a job, perhaps even as a trainee / intern.

http://www.immd.gov.hk/ehtml/hkvisas_4_1a.htm

BUT, make sure you have a good plan to network and sell yourself to employers. Too many people wander in, not knowing what they want other than "I'd like a job" and if you don't know what you want, how you're going to get it.. chances are you're not going to get it.

Quote Originally Posted by LostABC:
    Hi, I'm new to this forum. I've been looking around but I have a couple questions. I hope you guys can help.

I'm planning on basically dropping everything and moving to HK in June. I'd have just graduated from College and wanted to take 6 months to a year off and experience HK. My plan is to go over live in a hotel for a few days while i look for a serviced apartment in Causeway Bay. After that's set try looking for a job through a company that can sponsor me a work visa.

Does this sound like a good plan or is there a better way about doing this?

any info would be highly appreciated. Thanks
    Dont want to demotivate you. But i think its not easy to find out the job in HK if you are not native or dont know cathonese.

Better option will be to try to find the job in HK from your current place and come pver here on sponsor visa.

I should probably add I speak cantonese fluently however i cant read or write very well.

I graduated w/ a film and TV degree and would like to puruse something in that field even if its something small to start out w/ like a gofer boy.

I don't see how you'd get an Employment Visa to do that - the primary criterion is that your employer has to be able to show that there are no locals capable of doing the job.

Training visa ..

This site will give you an idea of if there are any jobs out there at the moment that would suit you...

http://www.classifiedpost.com/jshome.php

thanks a lot guys i'll keep all this into consideration

Personally speaking its one of the worst ideas ever if you make this move without any concrete plans/ideas.

A. You have no experience in any particular field

B. Serviced appartments etc in HK is not exactly cheap

C. Cost of living especially if you're unemployed is not cheap either

D. You have no Network in HK

E. You require Sponsorship and thus need to be on a minimum of 20k hk a month to get sponsorship and thats not gonna happen with no experience.

Sorry dude but its going to be soul destroying for you if you come over as it can and will be a struggle.