Like Tree7Likes

Rough costing

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

if you are in db, then you may choose to go to tung chung instead of central for shopping needs... in park island you may choose tsuen wan or tsing yi... however, the whole doing it yourself thing still applies...my guess you would really limit how often you go out if you don't have a car. as a mother of two, i can totally understand what it's like trying to navigate hong kong, both with a car and without (when my kids were under 2, i lived in db)... for living, i loved db.... for convenience, i like having my car... with 3 kids under 4...i would consider it a necessity... even if you choose to park it at sunny bay and only use it once in a while(there is a bus to sunny bay from db...so hassle is still there, but not as much)...

honestly, with 3 kids, even getting a taxi is going to be a royal pain in the neck.

and yes, schooling is a very important problem that should not be overlooked. however, at this age, you may be interested in making use of the local system, something that is often overlooked by many an expat. (if you want more information on this, both HowardCoombs and I have chosen to send our kids to local schools...)

and db $40k can get you a ground floor (with garden) of a lowrise, around 1200' with 3 bedrooms and a helper's room...at least that is what a close friend of mine got a couple of months ago.

Quote Originally Posted by cookie09:
    20k is salaries tax (15-16% roughly on the 120k).
    Oh thanks as per my original post I had already deducted 15% off so 120,700k is after tax etc.

To be honest with three kids you don't get to go out much there is always one throwing a tanty. Currently my eldest is in daycare 2 days a week but since schooling starts earlier in Hong Kong like the UK he will be in school (preschool/kindy) when we arrive (hooray) so I will only have two. I am more than happy to go to the playground & playgroup and a few classes etc during the week on my own. I would also like to make some friends in the same position. Any trips to HK island will probably done on the weekend with hubby there so an extra set of hands! Can you normally expect the helpers to babysit or do you hire a babysitter/nanny?

Obviously I am not going to move to Hong Kong unless hubby's work can sort out the schooling/debenture which is a big concern to me before housing.

Thanks again for your advice all much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by carang:
    and db $40k can get you a ground floor (with garden) of a lowrise, around 1200' with 3 bedrooms and a helper's room...at least that is what a close friend of mine got a couple of months ago.
    Agree that would be perfect for us.

db sounds to be the perfect choice for you, then...it sounds like it will cover all of your needs.

helpers can do any combination of the following or all of it, within reason: cook, clean, go to the market, plan menus, drop kids at school bus, babysit, organise playdates with other helpers and their charges etc.

ours moved to canada at the end of december and i really miss her cooking! she made the awesomest chicken and eggplant curry... it was to die for! .... actually, my mouth is watering just thinking about it!LOL

yes, kids can start school earlier here, but there is no such thing as daycare/creches....

Just to comment on those who say that on the island it would cost 60K for a decent flat for a family of the OP' size. 3 examples of close friends of mine:
    - 18K/month in Tin Hau, 1200 sqf (old buidling - so spacious)
    - 25k/month North Point/Mid Levels, 1400 sqf
    - 29K/month Midlevels (Bonham) 1400 sqf, very nice old Chinese building

If you look you can find pretty much everywhere.....

djs_1 likes this.

Carang - since you have been a great source of information can you tell me roughly how much your monthly food bill are?

I just feel like I'm missing certain expenditures...

Quote Originally Posted by Mat:
    Just to comment on those who say that on the island it would cost 60K for a decent flat for a family of the OP' size. 3 examples of close friends of mine:
    - 18K/month in Tin Hau, 1200 sqf (old buidling - so spacious)
    - 25k/month North Point/Mid Levels, 1400 sqf
    - 29K/month Midlevels (Bonham) 1400 sqf, very nice old Chinese building

If you look you can find pretty much everywhere.....
    i dont think 1400 sqf is enough for an australian family with 3 kids and 2 dogs...

apart from that, your 1200 sqf flat in tin hau must be veeeery old to cost that much. new rentals in the current market price such flats at 23k+
    djs_1 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by cookie09:
    i dont think 1400 sqf is enough for an australian family with 3 kids and 2 dogs...

apart from that, your 1200 sqf flat in tin hau must be veeeery old to cost that much. new rentals in the current market price such flats at 23k+

the 3 kids are below 4 y old....

in any case, if you can get a 1400 (old building measurement) for 25K a +1500 will be around 30K (still far from the +60K quoted)

Re-Tin Hau, the building is not veeery old, at max 30 y old. (the least was renewsd in 2010)

We can debate as long as we want, the fact is you can find flats at +1500 sqf on HK island for below 60K so postings such as "for a family your size you need to count at least 60K" is not really true.

That being said there are of course alternatives to HK island (I personnally do not live on the Island), and DB, PI or other parts of HK are to be considered.
    Last edited by Mat; 21-03-2011 at 01:57 PM.

we are currently very frugal and prices in db are slightly higher, but i would say $15000 including diapers and supermarket bought dry dog food...

We currently spend about $7000 including 2 kids, 2 dogs and 3 rabbits... During good months, i can spend $10000 easily. so i think a reasonable estimate would be $15k.....now, if you only want organic stuff, then increase it to $20k....

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast