Like Tree4Likes

Is this a good offer?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

also, bear in mind, that your parents would have to apply for extended visas BEFORE they come to hk. you may have trouble having them stay "for a few months" at a time. i believe indians are granted 14 days visa-free... after that, they need an extended visitors visa.. i'm sure PDLM will correct me if i'm wrong.

Visa at the airport only 14 days. Extended visa to be applied in India. Maximum stay 90 days.

Assuming you are single, here is what I think could be a breakup for your expenses:
    1.housing: 10K ( check with your company if they will help you with 2 months initial deposit payment)
    2.groceries: 2K
    3.Utilities+internet/TV: 1K
    4.Travel(to work ) + phone: 1.5K
    5.Misc:0.5K
    Total: 15K

On top of this, its up to you how much you want to spend on entertainment/going out with friends etc.
    Remember, there is no TDS here and you get everything in hand. However, you need to pay taxes in 2 installments towrds end of financial year. In HK, you also need to pay upfront 75% of tax for next year.

Agreed that the offer made to you does not have the "wow" factor but if I were you, I would take it.

Why ?
    1.As you are single, you have more time to settle down here before you get into a relationship
    2.HK experience should definitely add value to your CV.
    3.Get started first. Nobody is asking you to stick to the same company at same salary for the rest of your life.
    4. At 25, its a good time to exlpore a new country, new culture, meet ppl from different backgrounds and learn new things.
    5.My personal opinion: I find HK better, cheaper and a lot more safer than other countries that I have worked in.

Just my 2 cents. Hope that helps.

Disclaimer: The expense numbers I have given above are just what I think I can manage with. The idea of "decent living" is relative.

Arcadia and vanichen like this.

At $25,000/month your tax would be $20,640 for the year ($1720/month) if single and no allowances. But note that if the company provides some contribution towards housing then there will be some additional tax for that.
    Last edited by PDLM; 27-03-2011 at 01:31 PM.

A friend and I both wanted to save money so that we could travel, instead of having a nice apartment we only come home to sleep in... take a look at this link: Metro Harbour View, we were able to get a room for 11,000 HKD total, so 5,500 each!!! Yeah you could argue that it's small, but our view is the same view as the picture from the 30th floor, its looking at Hong Kong Island (Central), and it's amazing at night... We wanted a view and a cheap price, you just have to look for it.

You can make it work and best of luck!!!

Last edited by barnesc; 28-03-2011 at 04:21 PM.

Thanks everyone for awesome advise! When i know the exact details of housing they would provide me, i would surely ask you guys.
    Million thanks to everyone for posting!

Hi everyone,

I negotiated and this is what it has come down to, i am still negotiating but wanted to ask u guys, if this is any good:

3,60,000 per year
    39,000 moving allowance
    4 weeks initial housing
    20,000 for my baggage
    Bonus as per the year in the company
    Medical insurance
    Airfare
    They will fund one trip back home every year

All figures in HKD.

Thanks for your help

I have no idea if that is 'good' or not as I do not know your industry but I am fairly sure you could live quite comfortably on that. As others have mentioned, your biggest expense/savings will be on your accommodation.

I am not going to say go for it as I have no idea about your current life circumstances, all I would say is that I would not allow money to stand in your way.

I would, however figure in most of the moving allowance in to cover your security deposit (2 months rent), first month's rent at time of signing lease and also the agency fee (half month's rent). Can come as a shock if you're not ready for it!

arcadia, your package is good, the average salary in HK is around 10-15k (per month). the biggest expense will be accommodation as its sky high at the moment. I would suggest sharing a flat or at least move to Kowloon where rent is generally cheaper.

Ask your employer to break the package in 2 parts: Salary $240K+ housing allowance $120K. This will reduce your tax burden.

kacoak likes this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast