Like Tree3Likes

Good Sea view apartments

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Some of the very best seaview (aside from HK south but for this your budget is not enough) is actually in a little known (amongst expats) area called Tin Kau-Sham Tseng-Tsing Lung Tau (if you look for club facilities, good flats, good size)
    Fantastic view of the sea, Lantau Island and the Tsing Ma / Tin Kau bridge.

Else on the other side you have Sai Kung, Cleawater bay (more houses style, so no club house facilites but an "alternative" lifestyle).

Discovery bay/Park Island, not to everyone's liking, suggest you take a look first (and bare in mind you heavily rely on the ferries)
    Gold Coast, not bad but does not fit your 30/40 mn commute criteria (more like 45/55 minutes if you work a regular job)
    Tung Chung, some ppl like it, some hate it, true you have everything nearby but I would feel a bit constrained (same as for DB)

Park
    Island is a good choice I reckon

Quote Originally Posted by lizliz:
    Park
    Island is a good choice I reckon
    Better check it out before. I personally do not like it much because I feel you are "stuck" there. Yes there are ferries and buses but buses are most of the time packed (if you have regular job at "normal" hours) and the ferries while good, well they remain ferries (ie typhoon not great, rely on only them...)

So overall PI is OK but not that over the top as some seem to imply on this forum, but this is only my opinion of course.

I would much prefer Sai Kung, Cleawater bay for nice and quiet sea view or the Castle Peak Road (but not up to GC because that would not fit the 30/40 minutes transport criteria given by the OP).

Pokfulam could also be an option but I am less familiar with the prices in that area.

On PI, are there not busses to the MTR every 5 mins? My friend takes bus to MTR, and then direct to office every morning and evening, and said its very quick. (I have yet to try that, and used just the ferry to travel there, and once I used a taxi upon the return back to Central). The sea view though is exceptional, and nice size balcony there.

Quote Originally Posted by chateau:
    On PI, are there not busses to the MTR every 5 mins? My friend takes bus to MTR, and then direct to office every morning and evening, and said its very quick. (I have yet to try that, and used just the ferry to travel there, and once I used a taxi upon the return back to Central). The sea view though is exceptional, and nice size balcony there.
    Try peak hours.....

I only tried there on the weekends so far, not peak hours.

For me, i actually walk to work in Central as I live in Soho so can use the esculator. But of course my compromise is that I do not have ocean view where I live. I did try sometimes to take a bus from Caine Rd to Central on peak times, at that was quite full (standing up room only).

Suggest you read this: http://hongkong.geoexpat.com/forum/6...ad65839-3.html

and see comment from someone who lived there and took the bus:

"I think the biggest problem is the Tsing Yi bus stop because that one gets very very crowded in the evening and we often had to wait up to half an hour next to running dirty bus engines. The air was horrible. "

"they do not switch of the busses because the bus drivers follow the schedule although the bus is completely full and no person fits into the bus anymore. they stay at the bus stop until its time to go and let the engines run. if they would switch them off, people inside the bus would have no air to breath because the busses are so full (think Japanese subway-full). "

not my idea of fun.

You can also try the flats at Olympic city, it's very convenient and there are tones of mini buses that go all over....a frd of mine just move to one silversea, it's beautiful there, check it out cuz that's close to your budget; hope that helps

Just so that you are aware, the realtors definitions of 'seaview' in Hong Kong are below:
    1. Full seaview - that sliver of blue/gray that you see between the buildings/mall/parking lot/cranes/freight tanker, assuming it's not a foggy day. Ignore the neighbour right opposite glaring at you - he's just jealous he doesn't have a seaview.
    2. Open seaview - take above sliver, divide by two.
    3. Partial seaview - the one square inch that you can see from the extreme corner of the bathroom window, if you crane your neck at a 90 degree angle. Pray there's no fog.

In short, don't pin your hopes on just a seaview, in HK the average view is of someone elses apartment. The beaches are fairly accessible if you want to visit when the weather is good.

Satay Sue and MovingIn07 like this.

That does only really apply to non-coastal appartment blocks though (while being true). Those on the coast, eg Belle Air, the ones at Kowloon and Olympic stations, Sham Tseng and Gold Coast really DO have sea views provided you are on the side of the complex that faces the sea!

basketcase likes this.