Like Tree8Likes

Where to live in HK with 2 small children

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Where to live in HK with 2 small children

I am moving to HK in June with a 3 year old and 1 year old. My office is going to be based near Quarry bay. I need advice on good locations to stay, I am looking for a 3 bed appartment and need to know what a housing allowance of 30,000 HKD will buy me. Please help as I am a single mother needed desperate advice to ensure I am doing the right thing by my kids. I do not wanta long commute and need to ensure that the kids will be happy also,.

What kindergarten will your 3yo attend (I assume starting in September either K1 or K2)? What primary schools are you waitlisted on?

Sorry to not answer your question directly. But I think the question of kindergartens/schools is infinitely more important than where to live. Finding the school is extremely hard. Once you've done that, just live somewhere close to the school.

Football16 likes this.

hi i have no idea about schools etc for my 3 year old, if you can suggest decent areas near quarry bay and school names that will help me massively because at the moment i just have no idea of where to start

First of, 30K is OK as a budget
    Second there are plenty of schools in the Quarry Bay, Tin Hau, Happy Valley Area. so living along this axis should be fine for you.
    As for nice area to live, the ones I mentioned above are good (Happy Valley being on the higher end) and 30K will be enough to secure a 3 bedrooms flat or 2 large bedrooms.
    HV is more expensive than Tin Hau, Tai Hang, North Point or Quarry Bay.

Ask your company for a one month service apartment for when you arrive and in a weekend or two you should fine the right place, this is quite easy in HK.

I assume you will also need a helper if you have 2 kids and work so, factor in this in terms of $ and space.

if your office is in QB, live in QB to be near your kids. There are times when you will be called for emergencies, such as fever or vomiting etc. You need to be close to them at such times.

Kornhill has a Victoria nursery and kindie, the flats there are also within your budget. You need to have a simple walk down the road to drop off your kids before you go to work and have the maid pick them up at lunch time.

And good luck finding a good maid. Many difficulties there too.

Hi pls pass your email so we can as some rite people to reply all your questions
    Hong kong is a beautiful place to live & work

Good luck for you !

Quote Originally Posted by workingmother:
    I am moving to HK in June with a 3 year old and 1 year old. My office is going to be based near Quarry bay. I need advice on good locations to stay, I am looking for a 3 bed appartment and need to know what a housing allowance of 30,000 HKD will buy me. Please help as I am a single mother needed desperate advice to ensure I am doing the right thing by my kids. I do not wanta long commute and need to ensure that the kids will be happy also,.
    Hi,

Are you going to be here for a several years or more?

Can I suggest that you consider local, Cantonese schools for your children. The standard is very high and it is an incredible opportunity for them to become bilingual.

I teach in local schools and the standard of education is really very high.

Good luck with your move.

Quote Originally Posted by JPI:
    Hi pls pass your email so we can as some rite people to reply all your questions
    Hong kong is a beautiful place to live & work
    This is a highly suspicious post and I have reported it. I suggest you avoid contacting this individual - he's probably selling expat services.
    bryant.english likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast