Like Tree24Likes

Need Advice. Moving to Hong Kong from Texas

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by attkrt:
    Didn't your company allow you and your family to make one trip to Hong Kong prior to signing the contract? If you are claustrophobic, you are going to be in a world of hurt living in Hong Kong; especially down on HK Island
    No, I was super excited and just told my wife and I signed after 3 days..... Ya, I know I should have called by parents and asked for there advice. I only bargained for a better offer and didn't think about visiting before the move. But I figure Hong Kong would be similar to Tokyo. I survive a month there fine. Only time one I almost went mad was on the subway on JR Line right before midnight. I felt like a sardine in a can. So my plan is to avoid subway at rush hour all cost.

Also my wife doesn't mind moving, but she has never been to HK. I think in her mind Hong Kong is like Shanghai but with more buildings and a weather like Phuket.

This is going to end in tears

rebekah likes this.

I dislike the MTR in rush hour too, so I avoid it. That's easily done, the bus system here is fabulous. If you want to get around quickly there are many mini-buses which allow seating only (so no crowding) and many appartment blocks have resident only coaches and minibuses that take you into Central etc.

If you don't like crowds though, you'd best not live on HK Island. Also, hard to get a place for less than two years, so if you are planning to upgrade in size after 6 months that may be a problem.

rebekah and chingleutsch like this.

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:

If you don't like crowds though, you'd best not live on HK Island.
    Not that much better on Kowloon side either.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo:
    Not that much better on Kowloon side either.
    Indeed not. I would be looking at DB, Sai Kung, Sham Tseng or Tung CHung if I were him.... not that they are full of too many bars though (but who needs lots of bars? I guess one is enough eh?).

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    Indeed not. I would be looking at DB, Sai Kung, Sham Tseng or Tung CHung if I were him.... not that they are full of too many bars though (but who needs lots of bars? I guess one is enough eh?).
    But the 30 minute taxi commute restriction is going to make things awkward.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo:
    But the 30 minute taxi commute restriction is going to make things awkward.
    Ha ha - for DB yes - but he never said anything about disliking ferries. You could taxi commute in 30 mins from Tung Chung and easily from Sham Tseng (the 962B bus only takes 30 mins); Sai Kung might be harder but I don't know how long it takes via the eastern tunnel.

I'm sorry but I think OP is not for real. Too much detail, smacks of a wind-up to me

Freetrader and rebekah like this.

here are my suggestions / predictions.

you will live in wan chai.
    you will take the mtr to work.
    neptune will become your real home.
    you will soon post a thread on US foreign income tax, then on cost of a second wife, then on the topic of international divorce.

suerte!!

Quote Originally Posted by Satay Sue:
    I'm sorry but I think OP is not for real. Too much detail, smacks of a wind-up to me
    Oh, you are good, Satay Sue. Here are a couple of additional facts:

The OP posted at times that were mid-afternoon here but were 2am-4am in Texas.

The OP, I think, may have intended to pose as a typical Anglo expat and may have been having a dig at clueless expats generally, but may not have realized that his moniker (Bruce Hung) made him sound Asian (or Asian-American). That may explain why some of his facts: being an expat, moving to BJ in 1993, don't make much sense when combined with his name. [edit: I went back to reread his original post - he does mention being Asian, but the story still really doesn't add up]

OP, you have been caught out. Do you hate expats or are you just 'aving a laugh? And actually, I am a bit relieved that you apparently aren't real.
    Last edited by Freetrader; 09-05-2011 at 11:21 AM.
    Satay Sue likes this.