Moving to Hong Kong on August

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Moving to Hong Kong on August

Hello,

We are a familly with 2 small kids, planning to move to Hong Kong (from Israel) on August becouse of my husband's job. I have few questions;
    1. Is it worth it to ship the furniture/Electrical Appliances or is better to buy new ones in HK? Where is advised to buy?
    2. If we decide to ship the furniture, we will need a furnished appart. for first few weeks. How is possible to find one? I cheked the serviced apartment they are too small and too expencive.

Diana

Too small and too expensive....welcome to the HK property market. Have you looked at what you get for your money in a typical rental, not just serviced?

Might be best staying in a hotel for a couple of weeks, it doesn't take months to get an apartment furnished, anything I bought for mine turned up same day/next day.

you've given no idea of budget?

without knowing that, it's very difficult to advise whether to bring your furniture or not. hk has some of the most expensive property prices in the world. it is also a tiny city with a HUGE population....hence, tiny but expensive flats/housing.

Your husband's employer should and can easily arrange a serviced apartment for 4 people. Electrical appliances are cheaper in HK compared to most other parts of the world, I'm pretty sure of this. Most expats shop at Fortress which is a major store selling all household appliances. You can check their website. Furniture is also cheaper and nicer, again this is what I think. But most importantly, everything depends on the size of your new apartment.

Thank you all.
    The bugget for an apartment is 45 - 50 hkd. We are looking for 3 bedrooms , i was advised of the midlevels area (where the school of the kids is). Not furnished. We whant to bring of buy the furniture...

i do hope you mean $45-50k....

I mean 45 - 50 hong kong dollar

Quote Originally Posted by Diana20:
    I mean 45 - 50 hong kong dollar
    Now This is another taking the piss thread

i REALLY think you mean $45,000-50,000 HKD.... otherwise, you will find nothing for only $6 USD= $45-50 HKD

Diana20, "K" is an abbreviation for 1000...

Last edited by Satay Sue; 17-05-2011 at 08:51 PM.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast