Moving to Hong Kong from Japan

Closed Thread

Post Moving to Hong Kong from Japan

Hello,

After spending 15 years in Japan now I am set to move to HKG. I need advice for the following points ...

1. Electronics: Most of my electronics appliances (TV, Blue Ray Disk player etc.,) are one year old. Please advise if we can use voltage convertor and use these items in HKG.

2. Home: I am with two kids and my wife and prefer to have atleast two bed rooms and one big living room (as a whole looking for atleast 1500 sq.ft). How much will be the approximate monthly rent.

3. School: Can some recommend good school for both of my kids (7 years - grade 3 and 3 years - play school)

Thanks.

1. Electronics - It depends. Some will work, some will not, some will work with limited functionality (eg TV will work with a HK settop box but not the built in ISDB tuner that is unique to Japan). Yes, voltage convertors will solve the power problem, but they are not very efficient and they will not work for devices that draw lots of power (or they are massive).

2) About twice the price of Tokyo.

3) School places are hard to come by. But the good news is that the international schools here are about half the price of Tokyo.

Which one is best English medium International school ? I heard the air pollution is high in Hong Kong and need some tips about housing locations where there is less air pollution.

Thanks,

for less air pollution, you need to head out of hk island and kowloon, new terrotories has very good air quality, you can also find accommodation for 1500 sq ft for half or even quarter price (ie, cheaper than tokyo) than in certain parts of hk island or affluent parts of kowloon.
    but you may have to commute further, 35 mins up to a hour to central

When are you coming to HK? Sorting out the school is very stressful and waiting lists can be extremely long (many years), even with a corporate debenture. I doubt you will have much of a choice, so forget about trying to find the best. You will need to apply for many schools and pray that one of them has a spot for you.

The ESF english schools are popular since they are government subsidised, therefore bit cheaper than the full private international schools.

Personally, my kids go to the Australian school in Kowloon Tong. This decision was based on the fact that I am Australian, so had waitlisting priority, and it was the only school that had a place available for my kids. But having said that, I think its an excellent school.

Original Post Deleted
    well, nt is large area, your stats are averages for a very large area, ie , slight skewed. please view the official hk govt api and notice that shatin, tap mun, taipo ( around 25 to 30 mark) are considerable lower than central, sham shui po and eastern ( around 50 mark)

thus my statement is very valid

Environmental Protection Department

official government stats for api