I don't wanna go!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Well, I got cold feet also after I got a job offer in HK 16 years ago. I didn't regret one day having come here. It's really a nice place you can't find anywhere else. And it's easy to make friends.
    One tip: take a Cantonese Class at the ISS. It costs you HK$100 for 50 hours and speaking just a little bit of local language is always worth the trouble.

Wow thats REALLY cheap for so many lessons... I am living in the US right now, am moving to HK this summer and plan to learn cantonese. Sounds like it'll be cheaper than i thought .

i joined up for some lessons in Sydney, and paid a LOT more than that...but i got bored so quickly. i only went to 4 lessons, out of 10. I learned some really basic stuff, but i'm hoping many people speak english. otherwise i'm up shit creek without a paddle.....

See if you can get your hands on the Pimsleur Cantonese audio program. It should be available at university libraries, or you can check bays where buccaneers congregate. I went through 10 lessons and was no longer afraid to enter the local stationery shop

Oh, and when I was 21 I had already wrapped up a year of study in Japan and loved every second of it. You'll do fine!

Pimsleur Cantonese

It is the one I use. I find quite good. You can also ask to your mule to get it down for you.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2