Moving from US to Hong Kong

Closed Thread
  1. #1

    Join Date
    May 2007

    Moving from US to Hong Kong

    Hi everyone,

    I'm moving from the US to Hong Kong in a few months. I am a US citizen and my firm is providing $50k US per year for housing. So that's HK $32.5k per month. I've read through this forum but I am still confused as to what I have to pay in taxes in terms of the housing allowance. THis would affect what kind of apartment I look for when I get there so I would really appreciate any and all of your help.

    Since bonuses in the US are taxed at almost 50%, will my $50k US/year housing allowance also be taxed at 50%?

    Thanks everyone!!

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Apr 2003

    US Taxes -- best to speak with a tax expert back home before the package is structured.

    HK Taxes -- The housing allowance is 90% tax free from what I recall.

  3. #3

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    In Hongkong!

    best to get professional assistance then... u dun wanna play with the LAW!!