Like Tree2Likes

Some basic questions about living and moving to HK.

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thanks for these responses. However, thinking over opening an account in Hong Kong, perhaps it would be better to open an account in the US? For instance, would it be better to open an account at the HSBC bank in the US rather than the HSBC bank in Hong Kong? Would I still be able to access my US HSBC account in Hong Kong, and make deposits and transfers?

Depositing cash into an account in another country is pretty much impossible.

Clearly you need to decide where most of your money will be - it would be madness to get paid in HK$, convert it to US$, send it to the US, and then use an ATM card to take HK$ back out of your account.

Quote Originally Posted by emx:
    Hong Kong is not China.
    Last time I checked it was part of China!

Quote Originally Posted by tien long:

- I have to carry my actual passport with me at all times (at least before I get a HK ID card?) ? I cannot carry a photocopy with me? Hoo boy, if I do I have to carry the actual passport, looks like I have to break out the old neck wallet!
    Or bring back the good old bum bag or fanny pack

Quote Originally Posted by virago:
    Last time I checked it was part of China!
    We are ruled by China, like we were ruled by the UK. But HK is not the same as China, much as it was not the same as the UK. Let's not be obtuse about this