Like Tree49Likes

Freshly minted banking analyst moving to HKG :) - random questions that need to be answered

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 ... LastLast

Freshly minted banking analyst moving to HKG :) - random questions that need to be answered

I am aware that many of these questions have been answered in some sort of manner but I am hoping to get even specific answers. I am a recent Masters graduate with a 560K + all the other typical fringe benefits - offer to move to HKG beginning in September. They will pay for 4 weeks for my living expenses before I need to find a place. I have to be in the office by 6:30am and am expected to work till 7pm every day (I am on the markets side of the bank).

1) Which areas should I live in (close to work - central, easy access to convenience stores/super markets/fresh produce store, access to bars/restaurants/night life, lots of young people - I prefer living on the beachside if its possible
    2) How easy is it to get a room mate in a similar profession that is also a recent graduate - and how much can I expect to pay rent? - Is subleasing allowed, or is it better for me to find a room mate before and sign the lease together?
    3) what items should i bring with me before moving to hong kong?
    4) do people wear suits (in my profession) even if its ridiculously hot?
    5) How easy is it to pick up cantonease?
    6) Is the culture in banking very different than North America
    7) Can I afford to travel every other weekend - note Im not an investment banker, im on the markets side ie Sales & Trading so I have life - or do I?

Would love to hear any of your experiences of being young and single, and relocating to HKG

Contributors - please add RELEVANT QUESTIONS/ANSWERS to the thread. For those trolls on the internet who love bashing bankers I'd be more than happy to rip you a fresh one on the forum - but hopefully this thread will lead to a sensible discussion for many individuals like myself having the same concerns

I think this is pretty relevant: you sound like a twat. Good luck in HK!

Hey everyone, I'm very well paid

I am completely clueless about the place I'm moving to, but I can't be bothered to read the previous 500+ identical threads addressing my concerns

Please like me despite the above and obey my command to give me free advice
    All the best!
    Last edited by bookblogger; 25-06-2011 at 12:20 AM.
    luckycat and bibbju like this.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtyape:

1) Which areas should I live in (close to work - central, easy access to convenience stores/super markets/fresh produce store, access to bars/restaurants/night life, lots of young people - I prefer living on the beachside if its possible
    2) How easy is it to get a room mate in a similar profession that is also a recent graduate - and how much can I expect to pay rent? - Is subleasing allowed, or is it better for me to find a room mate before and sign the lease together?
    3) what items should i bring with me before moving to hong kong?
    4) do people wear suits (in my profession) even if its ridiculously hot?
    6) Is the culture in banking very different than North America
    7) Can I afford to travel every other weekend
    Ignore these rude people luckycat and bookblogger. Let me answer your questions seriously.

1. I recommend Tuen Mun. This is an area in a beautiful location mainly occupied by bankers and lawyers. It is a 3 minute walk from central and around 7 minutes by taxi to discovery bay, which is where people go to discover themselves.

2. This is very easy. Live by yourself so you will have more freedom to bring back girls of the night.. Rent isn't a problem for you, trust me, Hong Kong is one of the cheapest places in the world to rent. Just ask bryant. (he's an expert on the affluent area referred to in point 1)

3. I suggest you bring everything. One thing Hong Kong is renowned for (as well as cheap rent) is huge amounts of space. You'll feel a lot freer after the cluttered lifestyle you were forced to endure in the usa.

4. People do wear suits yes but one interesting tradition we bankers have is that we wear a purple shirt and a green tie on our first day at work. People who don't do this are instantly labeled as wimps. We never admit to this rule when asked though, except on internet forums.

5. You'll be speaking cantonease before you know it. Most people are pretty good within a few weeks. The beauty is its effortless pronunciation and lack of tones. I'll give you a starter. Hello is pronounced "diu" goodbye is "pok guy" friend is "gweilo" and thank you is "aaaaiiiyyyaaa"

6. The main difference is that Hong Kong people like to eat very unhealthy food when compared to Americans, and are generally obese because of it.

7. You can afford whatever you want baby. You're looooaded!

Good luck gweilo. Pok guy for now...

(see point 5 for translation)
    Last edited by justjoe86; 25-06-2011 at 02:20 AM.

This was most entertaining to read! very well plotted guys, i especially like the part from justjoe86 xD

All the best x)

Quote Originally Posted by Misslee:
    Oh what Joe said was totally opposite of the truth. Joe I am not trust you anymore seriously. Bad guy
    If you cannot understand expat humour, stay out of expat forums.
    jimbo, Satay Sue and HongKongFoot like this.

Justjoe - I really don't think Tuen Mun works for this guy. He's only junior and it's much more exclusive than that. I think he'd have much more fun in Tin Shui Wai - and it's one stop closer to Central on the MTR too.

bryant.english likes this.

Don't listen to these idiots. Welcome to HK and good luck. To make a good impression on your first day at the office I would dress smartly walk straight up to people and boldy say 'bingo fong pay?' - loosely translated means, 'how can I help?'. Locals will be very impressed.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtyape:
    Well, we don't call it Cantoneasy for nothing!

Cantonease is the light version of Cantonese. Ignore characters and tones, just as we use it here.

bookblogger likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 ... LastLast