situation, need insight

Closed Thread

Question situation, need insight

hey everyone

I''ve got a question for yall.

I used to live in HK for 10 yrs.. then moved to the US for the past 10 yrs.. and am hoping to move back.

Recently (Jan/Feb if this yr) I brought my boyfriend with me to HK. It was his first visit and he absolutely fell in love with it.

Now here's the problem/question..

His line of work is Masonry. He works with concrete. and has been for over 10 yrs now. Builds foundations, side walks, stairs, basically anything that has to do with concrete, he knows how to do. he's certified to run all the heavy machinery. Went to school for that so he has written proof of all his certifications.

What are the odds of him getting a well payed job in HK in that line of work?

Currently he works for the family business and is doing a lot of supervising for people who work for the company. In addition to that he does estimates on a regular basis and deal with customers etc whenever they call.

Any ideas on if it's possible for him to get a job doing this line of work?

Any information is REALLY really appreciated.

We both would like to move to HK within the next few yrs.. but his main concern is if he'll be able to get a well paying job.

Also, he's looking to take up courses to learn Mandarin.. I speak Mandarin and canto but he wants to learn..

Anyways! please contact me if you have any information regarding this.. i'll be frequenting this thread in hopes for more info.

Thank you!!!

Tiff

Unfortunately, I don't think that its likely that he would even be granted a work visa for his occupation. Sorry.

Since you lived in HK for 10 years, you can apply for a ROA
    so that you can live and work in HK. then if you both want to come to HK to work, you need to get married and he can
    apply as your dependent and work in HK. For his line of work it would ge difficult as he needs to be fluent in canto and mandarin or he can open his own business and you could be the front person and he does the work. it would work out well since HK is alway has a lot of constructions going on.

Woodpecker

Possible bit extreme but get married and he gets a visa automatically if you have one...

Getting work in that industry may still be hard but suppose start with MTR corp - they do hire westerners but don't know if they have any thing available.

Could also consider trying to get work in Macau but always going to be competing there and here against generally far cheaper staff.

I agree with what's written above: no chance of an Employment Visa in his own right, but if you are a Permanent Resident and you get married then he will be able to reside here and look for work. His chances of finding any without fluent Cantonese are slim unless he has substantial experience at a managerial level. If he does manage to get a non-managerial job I would be surprised if it pays more than HK$15,000 per month.

that's pretty much what I have been told from my mom.. Argh..

Even with being extremely qualified.. does management type stuff, still it'd be that difficult? what's the average pay in the construction business anyways in HK? Live'able or basically pointless.

What do you think I should suggest him to do if he truely wants to move there one day.. for occupation wise? Get a degree in something or..

he's someone who has to be working with his hands and be constantly doing something all the time.. but the business is hard on his body and he's looking for alternatives.

Suggestions would be much appreciated!

thank you everyone who's responded so far!

Why not review the property & construction jobs listed in the SCMP Classifieds (www.classifiedpost.com) for an idea of the type of jobs available. As a matter of policy, I don't think a visa would be issued for non-degreed person in construction. In fact, the government is always cookign up unnecessary infrastructure projects largely to generate employment for local construction workers.

what if he were able to get his resume on line.. does anybody know of any good construction companys or places that may take a look at his resume and give us some kinda idea?

His situation is tough. No degree, no visa (a big hurdle b/c he won't likely be granted a visa for his line of work even if he finds someone to employ him), a job that has a greater supply of local HK workers than there is demand for work, and doesn't speak the local language which would be required on a construction site. I'm not sure who you should even send his resume to - local construction managers don't necessarily speak English. Also, remember that wages in HK for his line of work are quite low compared to wages for similar jobs in the US, and HK is generally a much more expensive place to live. Good luck though...