Like Tree18Likes

If you came from US, what did HK not have?

Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

skippy is available in happy valley park n shop

Quote Originally Posted by dumbdonkey:
    skippy is available in happy valley park n shop
    ...and many other supermarkets....same for Cheerios. Expensive, but available.

Quote Originally Posted by fuzzysocks:
    Is there anything that you had in US that they didn't have in HK that you wished you brought with you? ie toothpaste brands, soap, shampoo, conditioner
    Having lived on the mainland for a few years, moving to HK was akin to moving from the desert. Some things may be harder to find, more expensive, or not available in the brand one may be accustomed to yet they're available. The message thread covers all of the unnecessary "stuff" many relatively spoiled foreigners become accustomed to using, but it's amazing how flexible people survive.

On my last visit to North America, wifey sold me on picking up several packages of her favorite brand of mini-tampon-like things (Yes, another reminder for her how lucky she is to have me). If you'll have any storage room, a mega-sized bottle of multi-vitamins is much less costly than HK's mini-bottles. Effective men's deodorant/anti-perspirant , razors (for men, buy a few huge packets), cold tablets, etc. cost a fortune compared with the States/Canada. Again, the thread documents the available "stuff" you may find harder to find. Look around, post messages asking "where to find X", etc. and necessary and less "stuff" can be purchased. You're not moving to Xinjiang, yet good luck with the move.

Having lived on the mainland for a few years, moving to HK was akin to moving from the desert. Some things may be harder to find, more expensive, or not available in the brand one may be accustomed to yet they're available. The message thread covers all of the unnecessary "stuff" many relatively spoiled foreigners become accustomed to using, but it's amazing how flexible people survive.

On my last visit to North America, wifey sold me on picking up several packages of her favorite brand of mini-tampon-like things (Yes, another reminder for her how lucky she is to have me). If you'll have any storage room, a mega-sized bottle of multi-vitamins is much less costly than HK's mini-bottles. Effective men's deodorant/anti-perspirant , razors (for men, buy a few huge packets), cold tablets, etc. cost a fortune compared with the States/Canada. Again, the thread documents the available "stuff" you may find harder to find. Look around, post messages asking "where to find X", etc. and necessary and less "stuff" can be purchased. You're not moving to Xinjiang, yet good luck with the move.

Thanks for the tips. Just one month left until I leave!

Quote Originally Posted by Watercooler:
    Man, I miss drinking Root Beer, can't find it anywhere in HK.
    City Super has it, at least the one in Shatin does!

Quote Originally Posted by Molie:
    City Super has it, at least the one in Shatin does!
    Also the IFC one....and A&M Store in Shun Tak Centre

Quote Originally Posted by lingc:
    Advil and Aleve, aveeno products, ketchup and dill pickle flavoured chips... Root beer! And real hot dogs and sausages! Sigh...
    ketchup???? i've seen heinz in EVERY supermarket i've ever been in!

root beer???? city super, A & M, gateway

advil???? just ask ANY pharmacy for IBUPROFEN.... it's the medicinal ingredient in advil. widely available, but more expensive. (I go through a hk bottle every month!)

hot dogs???? many supermarkets have proper hot dogs, but you'll pay about $6USD for a pack of 8.
    Satay Sue likes this.

Aveeno products stocked in the health food/natural pharmacy in Yik Yam St, Happy valley.

Quote Originally Posted by sfolola:
    The things we crave tend to be pretty specific. Clamato for red beer, for example (so trashy but delicious). Pancake mix and maple syrup.
    as said, pancake mix is everywhere...

maple syrup is in expat oriented supermarkets (our neighbourhood wellcome has it)

Quote Originally Posted by carang:

maple syrup is in expat oriented supermarkets
    maple syrup must be in every supermarket in hong kong. they serve it with french toast everywhere. it's probably called "may po see rope"

Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast