Like Tree18Likes

If you came from US, what did HK not have?

Closed Thread
Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast

actually, most locals have HONEY with french toast, NOT maple syrop.... REAL maple syrup is EXTREMELY expensive ($88-100 for a small bottle). it cannot be found in every supermarket.

of all of the locals that i know (and being married and working with ONLY locals, i know a fair few), only the overseas chinese (and hubby) know what maple syrup is.

My helper came home with "maple-flavored syrup" (sic) - that went straight in the bin. She thought she was doing me a favour by saving money. Hasten to add that I wasn't angry with her!

Quote Originally Posted by Satay Sue:
    My helper came home with "maple-flavored syrup" (sic) - that went straight in the bin. She thought she was doing me a favour by saving money. Hasten to add that I wasn't angry with her!
    Next time, let me know and I'll take it off your hands! I can't really tell the difference.

One of the reasons l like maple syrup is it is just that. Not processed, just maple syrup. Having something which resembles it but is artificially sweetened was not what I wanted!

Quote Originally Posted by carang:
    actually, most locals have HONEY with french toast, NOT maple syrop....
    are you sure? they serve "may po see rope" with the orange sliding lid at Tsui Wah and at Honolulu Cafe. this is my favorite thing at cha cheen tang. actually, the only thing i eat at a CCT.

i've been eating honey and not see rope.
    Last edited by dumbdonkey; 02-08-2011 at 05:34 PM.

i am 99.999% sure.

they call it syrup, but it is honey. my kids eat both regularly, hk french toast with honey and western pancakes with maple syrup... even they can tell the difference.

You probably haven't been consuming honey or maple syrup if ordered at a cheap Chinese diner, but just some generic sweet guck.

Quote Originally Posted by carang:
    i am 99.999% sure.
    Agree - not maple syrup at all.

Not to be disparaging but 'the locals' don't differentiate between the two (plus, they care much less about sugar calories!).
    HongKongFoot likes this.

Neither maple syrup nor honey - I've never seen french toast here served with anything other than golden syrup/ wohng gam tohng jeung. And I do like my french toast

Obesity?:

Closed Thread
Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast