Chance of getting a Job in Hong Kong

Closed Thread

Chance of getting a Job in Hong Kong

I am planning to move to Hong Kong in August without a job. I plan on looking for a job in the accounting industry. Im coming from the US and graduated from University of California Riverside in Business Administration - Accounting. I have 1.5 years experience working as an accounts clerk here in the US. I speak fluent English and very little Cantonese and Mandarin. What are my chances of getting a job and is it even possible?

Quote Originally Posted by achan027:
    I am planning to move to Hong Kong in August without a job. I plan on looking for a job in the accounting industry. Im coming from the US and graduated from University of California Riverside in Business Administration - Accounting. I have 1.5 years experience working as an accounts clerk here in the US. I speak fluent English and very little Cantonese and Mandarin. What are my chances of getting a job and is it even possible?
    Have you passed the CPA exam? If not, what is your career goal?

Standard question: do you have the right to work in Hong Kong, or do you need a work visa?

Also, when you say you "graduated from the University of California Riverside", was that a full degree? Your wording makes it sound like it wasn't...

I have not passed the CPA exam, career goal is to be an accountant.

Yes I got a bachelor in science for business admin concentrating in accounting. I have a HK ID with no stars. So i am not sure if i can work there.

Quote Originally Posted by achan027:
    I have not passed the CPA exam, career goal is to be an accountant.

Yes I got a bachelor in science for business admin concentrating in accounting. I have a HK ID with no stars. So i am not sure if i can work there.
    Others may chime in on your ability to work in HK. I'll stick to the career issue.

You may be able to get a job as a clerk in HK, but your inability to read or speak Chinese well may make that difficult.

My advice to you is to pass the CPA exam, get certified, and get some experience; then you will be able to bring something to the table and command a good salary. As it is now, you would be worse off in the job market than any local graduate, since you lack qualifications, aren't local, and don't have the language skills. I am not writing to this be harsh but to offer honest advice. Good luck!