Like Tree1Likes

Moving to HK from India

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Moving to HK from India

Hi Guys,

I am moving to HK from India in Sept and would like to know few things about the place and the challenges.
    It would be gr8 if anyone can help me with the same.

1. Salary: 35k per month: I am married with no kid. What should be my budget for apartment rent.

2. Place to Stay: Requirement: around 700 sq ft with access to central district in HK (as my office would be there) and presence of Indian Community. I have heard Tung Chung and discovery bay areas are good and rentals are cheap but looking at postings on the various website it seems very small and expensive.

3. What to bring from India: furnitures, electronics, kitchenwares, etc

4. Travelling costs and other cost

5. Taxation: I have heard that there is a married person allowance. Any other point to look out for?

6. Any other useful tip before moving.

Thanks a lot in advance......!

Last edited by ragrawal; 11-07-2011 at 07:24 PM.

Hi,

Here are some responses that may help.

1. Salary: 35k per month: I am married with no kid. What should be my budget for apartment rent.

- Shouldnt be more than 10K i believe.

2. Place to Stay: Requirement: around 700 sq ft with access to central district in HK (as my office would be there) and presence of Indian Community. I have heard Tung Chung and discovery bay areas are good and rentals are cheap but looking at postings on the various website it seems very small and expensive.

- In my small experience, you would find it very tough to get that space here in that budget. Not at all in Central. I know some one paying 14,500 in Abardeen that is not close to central but on the main island. Discovery bay isnt on the Main island. I hope you know that while you are looking.
    But dont worry, if you find a place you like even a little further away, transport here is a breeze. you would have no problems traveling.

3. What to bring from India: furnitures, electronics, kitchenwares, etc

- Dont get anything . If your company is paying for the stuff to be shipped (and i hope they are) then too dont get furniture, electronics etc. Everything (and cheaper) is available here. Plus the apartment sizes are so small our Indian furniture would find a tough place fitting in. I suggest dont get anything like that.

4. Travelling costs and other cost

- Traveling isnt costly at all. I could tell you some figures but trust me if your rent is sorted everything else is no problems.

6. Any other useful tip before moving.

- if you would like more help, drop me a personal msg with your email and we can talk.

All the best!

good to see ppl helping others the way they were helped in this forum...... Its all abt sharing and giving back. +1.

Going back to OP,s qustion on acco.... I think you can get something reasonable in the range of 11.5- 12k in tung chung and 14.5k in tsing yi.travel time to central is 30mins from tung chung and 15 mins from tsing yi.this is tthe time you will be spending on train. Door to d
    oor could be somewhere around 50 mins from tung chung and 35 mins from tsing yi depending on tge location of your home and office.

Last edited by shuki; 29-07-2011 at 11:06 PM.

Thanks a lot for the revert. Please let me know the average commuting cost in HK. I know there is an octopus card but is it a monthly pass or just a convinience card.

Also whats the domestic maid scenario there and the cost attached with it. I am thinking about areas like Tung Chung and Discovery Bay. Which is better?

The MTR (subway) from Tung Chung to Hong Kong (Central) is $18.8 each way. The ferry from Discovery Bay to Central is $33.8 each way.

For a domestic helper, they must legally be live-in and for budgeting purposes the cost is about HK$5000 per month including salary, insurance, required airfares, etc.

ragrawal likes this.

Thanks a lot for the revert. Will PM you!

You can stay in TST where you can get an apt ranging from 10K - 13K for a 2 bedroom apt. And it is just 2 stations away from Central, hence travel time is only 10 minutes.
    Plus in TST (Tsim Sha Tsui) lots of indians are staying on this side of HK so easy to find your own community people.
    And yeah do not bring any furniture or Electronics from India except the Indian Utensils as you cannot buy those here, I mean you can buy but expensive.
    Take care and if you need any assistance you can pm me.

tseung kwan o is another area. 35 mins to Central via the MTR.

not many indians there but new apartments and more reasonable rents. I pay 9.5K for 683 sqft

Last edited by bak875; 19-08-2011 at 04:44 PM.

You can read my posts here on what to get from India-
    http://hongkong.geoexpat.com/forum/6...ml#post1700013

Discovery Bay might be too expensive for you on your budget, plus as a single guy it may be way out. DB is more for families. Tung Chung, Tsing Yi or TST would be good options. I stay in South Horizons which is near Aberdeen (on the south side of HK Island). Rents could be as low as 10k for ~650 sq feet 2 bed room appt. PM me if you need more info or help.

Best of luck.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast