Like Tree9Likes

Moving to Hong Kong with £31,000 HKD per month

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Smile Moving to Hong Kong with £31,000 HKD per month

Evening all,

I've spent the last few hours trawling through the forum and have found some excellent information and resources.

I have been offered an excellent work opportunity based in North Point with a monthly wage of $31,000 HKD. My girlfriend and I will be aiming to move over at the end of August and would like to know the best areas for accommodation in terms of travelling to and from work.

Ideally I would spend less than $14,000 per month on accommodation, we would be looking for a 1 bedroom place and I don't mind having to travel via the MTR to get to North Point as long as it doesn't mean having to change train (more than once!)

I can appreciate that this is probably very similar to peoples questions on here but I haven't seen anything specific to North Point so would like to find out what would be best.

Cheers,

Rvll

Be aware that unless she has the right of abode in Hong Kong your girlfriend cannot legally move to Hong Kong without a visa in her own right.

North Point is pretty well connected, and you should be able to find a reasonable place for $14,000 per month, although 1 bedroom places are rare (normally conversions from 2 bedrooms). There are many areas within your criteria - anywhere east of North Point on the Island (blue) Line, or anywhere in the Tseung Kwan O area on the Tseung Kwan O (purple) line for a start.

Last edited by PDLM; 17-07-2011 at 11:11 PM. Reason: typo

Tseung, FFS!

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    Be aware that unless she has the right of abode in Hong Kong your girlfriend cannot legally move to Hong Kong without a visa in her own right.

North Point is pretty well connected, and you should be able to find a reasonable place for $14,000 per month, although 1 bedroom places are rare (normally conversions from 2 bedrooms). There are many areas within your criteria - anywhere east of North Point on the Island (blue) Line, or anywhere in the Tseung Kwan O area on the Tseung Kwan O (purple) line for a start.
    Thanks for the point on the Visa, had completely slipped my mind! I've checked out the MTR map and can see it's well connected. I'll look into the Tseung Kwan area to see what is available. Thanks for your help!

Be aware that Tseung Kwan O is just housing estates and shopping malls, with no items of interest and not even a town centre. I guess it would be OK if you love highways and roundabouts, or if you have a fetish for bad town planning.

Quote Originally Posted by bookblogger:
    Be aware that Tseung Kwan O is just housing estates and shopping malls, with no items of interest and not even a town centre. I guess it would be OK if you love highways and roundabouts, or if you have a fetish for bad town planning.
    Interesting, to be honest we will just be looking for a decent(ish) area to stay. Everything is so close anyway a quick trip on the subway and we will be where we want.

I've just seen quite a few places in North Point/Kowloon for 8/10,000HKD per month on http://www.gohome.com.hk - Is this a website I can trust?
    Last edited by rvll; 18-07-2011 at 01:55 AM.

Just giving you fair warning.

So that's what those are. I came across one of these housing estate/malls at the end of a hike and couldn't figure out what it was about the area that bothered me. I found it soulless like the land of the walking dead. Weird - especially for a crowded, humming place like HK.
    siulung likes this.

Interesting, to be honest we will just be looking for a decent(ish) area to stay. Everything is so close anyway a quick trip on the subway and we will be where we want.

Have seen a few places on gohome.com.hk - decent, trustworthy site?

Yep... planning FAIL

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast