Like Tree14Likes

Moving to HK this Sept - where to start?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

By the way, I don't think Hong Kong is more expensive than Central London apart from the rent!
    It's a lot cheaper to dine out for a start...

With Wellcome you can order online.

Don't worry about the details so much. You will be able to buy food and furniture . Your first priority is sorting out a flat, that's the biggest headache in this city. Regarding jobs - network your butt off and get yourself in front of companies and possibly some recruiters. But, you will be living here as an illegal alien until you are married so that could pose a bit of a problem in terms of jobs and other basics such as getting a bank account etc. You just can't get around the fact that you will officially just be here on holiday until Dec as far as immigration is concerned.

Good luck.

Thanks so much everyone - very helpful informations.

I love books and usually order from Amazon UK ( usually a £6.99 you can get it for like £3.90). Is there Amazon HK or equivalent in HK?

Or is it one of the things that I need to go to the shop to physically buy them. Are books in HK more expensive - eg novels.

Quote Originally Posted by Char Siu King:
    Don't worry about the details so much. You will be able to buy food and furniture . Your first priority is sorting out a flat, that's the biggest headache in this city. Regarding jobs - network your butt off and get yourself in front of companies and possibly some recruiters. But, you will be living here as an illegal alien until you are married so that could pose a bit of a problem in terms of jobs and other basics such as getting a bank account etc. You just can't get around the fact that you will officially just be here on holiday until Dec as far as immigration is concerned.

Good luck.
    I understand from some of the forums here that the visa available in HK is working visa from employer or a dependant visa. Do they independent visa? I would rather have a independent visa vs dependant visa

I recommend a Kindle for books... You can get a wide selection of English books but the prices are high. The Kindle is cheaper and easier.... Plus I actually prefer reading it than dead tree books now.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBrit:
    I recommend a Kindle for books... You can get a wide selection of English books but the prices are high. The Kindle is cheaper and easier.... Plus I actually prefer reading it than dead tree books now.
    Hi TheBrit

I love keeping books I read and hand them down to my friends and family if they like to read them. I have thoughts of getting a kindle since it may be the cheaper option once i am in HK.

If I get a Kindle device in UK, do you know if I can go to Amazon US and buy kindle novels? Pricing for kindle version on Amazon US seems cheaper than UK.

I am not too sure - I use Amazon UK and not the US site. I am sure it's Googlable though! I also have hundreds of paper books, but it became too much of a pain to store them and I ended up giving the vast majority away when I came to Hong Kong... just kept some of my favourites and the nicer hard back books. Now I read much more on the Kindle than I did before, and if I like a book I can always buy the paper copy if needed.

Quote Originally Posted by HK newbie:
    I understand from some of the forums here that the visa available in HK is working visa from employer or a dependant visa. Do they independent visa? I would rather have a independent visa vs dependant visa
    The "independent" options are QMAS (lots of threads on the Immigration board here) and the investment visa, which requires lots of zeroes to the right on the real numbers in your bank account.

Not forgetting that the humidity here will kill those books unless you have aircon 24/7

Good afternoon,

I can't really help you much yet but I found your story quiet similar to my and will be great to meet for a coffee once you in HKG.
    My fiance got transfered to HK too and we will be moving there in 2 days, very excited, our wedding will take place in the South of France next summer and hope to find my dress in HK.
    My name is Ambre and my private email is [email protected]

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast