Agents (sigh)

spam_receptacle

Agents (sigh)

Can anyone offer some advice for the novice HK expat on dealing with property agents.

We've just spent a gruelling two days with an agent and did not see much that we liked. My company told them upfront what our budget is and I kinda think that might have been a mistake. I kept thinking that something weird was going on, because the properties we've looked at on the internet on an array of different sites, and the kind of thing she showed us, differed vastly.

Some advice would be gladly appreciated.

What is your budget? We can give you an idea of what you can get (and what the property agent should be showing you) if we know. Cheers.

hk agents..
    wat they normally do is to bring you to flat which is of a higher price than you expected, to 'test' your true budget, if u r looking for a flat over 20k/month, they might work harder, if not..., you must be referred by someone they know, why? because they don't want to upset those big speculative clients with plenty of properties to flip-over, the main focus are not the leasing market. they do that just for keeping the owner happy then hoping them to sell the flat via them later on

spam_receptacle
    Quote Originally Posted by hello_there:
    What is your budget? We can give you an idea of what you can get (and what the property agent should be showing you) if we know. Cheers.
    I've budgeted HK$40k.

Is there no loft-style apartments in that price range?

Quote Originally Posted by spam_receptacle:
    I've budgeted HK$40k.

Is there no loft-style apartments in that price range?
    40K should get you a nice apartment. The next question would be which area are you looking at.

FYI I dont think they are many or any loft-style apartments in HK, not that I have heard of.

$40k is plenty for a couple or small family but loft style will be hard to come by as small boxy rooms is the norm for HK. If you can give an idea of what you are looking for people here will be able to give you some ideas and suggest some buildings to look at.

spam_receptacle
    Quote Originally Posted by larac:
    $40k is plenty for a couple or small family but loft style will be hard to come by as small boxy rooms is the norm for HK. If you can give an idea of what you are looking for people here will be able to give you some ideas and suggest some buildings to look at.
    Hopefully low-rise, with a bit of space and at the minimum a pool in the region of facilities. We saw some really drab buildings and some were just depressing.

We liked 80 Robinson a lot but my wife thinks she'll get vertigo there

Obviously I don't know what your situation was like before but unless your wife really does suffer from bad vertigo then I would personally reccomend you try the high rise option because the buildings are generally newer and have bigger windows and if they tower over the others in the area you will feel less claustrophobic.

In the central/mid-levels area you will not find community facilities nearby so will need to have things like a pool in your building. Try looking at a building called Cherry Crest - not as big as 80 Robinson or with as many facilities but it does have a nice little pool and big windows, it is just below Caine Road at the end of Bridges Street. Casa Bella on Caine Road also looked quite nice to me and Bella Vista just up a little bit from Caine Road and quite close to the escalator.

Bel Air is a bit further out but very nice with alot of facilities or maybe you should consider looking in Happy Valley - it is quite family oriented there.

You should also take a walk along Caine Road and look in the Real Estate windows.

Talking about agents .. Lotsa my friends have problems with them as they are usually trying to push the "flats" that have been empty or the owner is leaving, moving, mirgating or scared of ghosts......etc etc....

If anyone have any good patient, understanding english speaking agent to recommend in the Hum Hom area or Central district please PM me the contact as well...

Thanks

VVVVVodyy-gal