Like Tree6Likes

Where to live in hk with two kids

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Where to live in hk with two kids

Hello, everyone. We plan to move to hk next month with my two daughters. One is five and the little one is three. Where is a good place to live on hk? Our budget is less than 20k.

Your first priority needs to be where can they get a place at school as that's going to dictate where you end up living.

Assuming you want an English-language education, your absolute priority one, like right now, is to secure them a place in schools. If this hasn't been done already you should be on the phone--before your leave--contacting schools to find a place for your five year old.

Once you have that settled, then we can speak to what areas within a reasonable distance between school and work would be advisable.

To me the first priority should be the happiness and health of your kids. So I would focus on a place where you think this can best be achieved. I would be focussing on places with cleaner air, good play areas, safety away from traffic etc and then consider schooling and child care based from there.

You will find that many HK parents are fanatically obsessed with getting the "best" school, etc, not realizing that the best education actually comes from the parents themselves and that smart happy kids will thrive no matter what school you send them to.

Last edited by randy1; 22-07-2011 at 11:47 AM.
    kittyctc and Nicky Khanwani like this.

Thanks for all. Regarding school also a little bit breaking my head. Coz I heard in hk most of the English education are oversubscribed. Waiting list is more than thousands of kids. Maybe as all of you are saying, need to find out which school is available for the kids then we decide where to live.

Dear Randy1,which area you think is clearer air and have nice play are for kids? Sai Kung? Or yuen long?

Those two places are at the opposite extremes of HK - don't you also have to consider where someone will work?

And personally I don't think there's much difference at a regional level in terms of pollution - the biggest factor is how far you are from busy roads, which exist pretty much everywhere.

penguinsix likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by randy1:
    To me the first priority should be the happiness and health of your kids. So I would focus on a place where you think this can best be achieved. I would be focussing on places with cleaner air, good play areas, safety away from traffic etc and then consider schooling and child care based from there.

You will find that many HK parents are fanatically obsessed with getting the "best" school, etc, not realizing that the best education actually comes from the parents themselves and that smart happy kids will thrive no matter what school you send them to.
    I'm sure this would be great advice in a place where all schooling was done in English (I assume the OP's kids only speak English). Since it's not, and while it might be a great experience to go to school in a completely alien language, I suspect it's not on the OP's list of top desires, thus getting into anywhere with English as the main language of tuition is going to be a top priority, and since almost every one of these is considered a "top" school by the locals and thus oversubscribed, I think she has her work cut out for her and should be focussing on schooling like the other (possibly more qualified that you?) posters have suggested.

MovingIn07 - personally, I would see a lot of value in embracing local language while in HK. I think kids at the age of 3-5 can pick up and mix languages easily, so if her horizon for HK is just a few years, I think a local school could be a great experience. I know a diplomat, who always deliberately put his kids into local schools in each country he was in (usually 2-3 stints). In HK, he put his kids into a local school. He told me that once they were 12 or so onwards he would go for schooling back in England, but up until then he saw a lot of benefit in local exposure.

Iris - I think we need to know a little more about your circumstances to advise you. In particular:

How long do you plan to stay in HK?
    Where will you or your husband be working?

Last edited by randy1; 22-07-2011 at 02:32 PM.
    kittyctc likes this.

My husband need to travel a lot to oversea. So we don't have any problem for distance to work. I'm a stay in mother. That's our main concern is for the little girls.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast