Like Tree2Likes

Singapore to Hong Kong

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Singapore to Hong Kong

Hi All,

So as the title says I am currently in Singapore where I work have been here for 2 yrs and really like it here but I have the chance to take a new job in HK with a British company I am also a Brit .

The job will be offereing me just over 30K per month as a single guy is this good enough to live I like to party at the weekends but can budget during the week with this could I manage to save money I know in Singapore this would be a good wage but I hear HK is much more expensive.

Thanks in advance for you input.

Try this thread, some of the answers you are looking for is there:

http://hongkong.geoexpat.com/forum/53/thread199597.html

Just moved to HK earlier this year from Singapore. Short answer - while rents are higher here, we found Hong Kong much cheaper than Singapore, especially if you like to party!

Quote Originally Posted by Watercooler:
    Try this thread, some of the answers you are looking for is there:

http://hongkong.geoexpat.com/forum/53/thread199597.html
    Thanks I will take a look

Quote Originally Posted by Satay Sue:
    Just moved to HK earlier this year from Singapore. Short answer - while rents are higher here, we found Hong Kong much cheaper than Singapore, especially if you like to party!
    Ya for sure the drink in SG is crazy $12 for a bottle unless its happy hour

I would say 30K is a bit low, try negotiating.

Your rent will be at least 10K for a decent apartment

Last edited by bak875; 27-07-2011 at 02:14 PM.

Thanks for the replies, so I think its around 32k not sure on the benefits as yet but I will ask for some rent allowance or help towards it at least. Also another option I could always just rent a room thats common here in Singapore is it common in HK to do this?

Moved from Singapore to HK around a year ago, no regrets.

32k per month is not a terrible salary, if you're single you can live quite comfortably on that. Rents are higher here, but if you can get used to a smaller place you might end up paying the same or even less than Singapore. Unfortunately flatshares/renting rooms aren't as common here.

If you eat out for every meal (as I do), it's a bit more expensive (no hawker centres). Alcohol is substantially cheaper, and the best part is there are no taxi surcharges!

All depends on where and what kind of apartment you want to live in and how long you are willing to commute. Rent is the biggest joy-killer here if you want anything clean, comfortable, and close to decent nightlife. If you're willing to share a flat for a couple of years or live further away from the action 32k is all right, but doubt you'd save much, especially if you want to travel on holidays. Or if you’re not at home much you can get tiny studios for 10-12K. All depends on you eating habits as well. Shopping in expat oriented supermarkets is very expensive, but local supermarkets are OK (Wellcome & PNS) for basic everyday goods. There are nothing like the great food courts you have in Singapore malls for lunch. There are food courts but compared to Singapore they are quite shite. Drinking can be cheap and cheerful especially at HH or very expensive if you're intonightclubs, but perhaps a tad cheper than Singapore. MTR is a bit cheaper and taxis are cheaper than Singapore without complicated surcharges.

Ok thanks for the info, so I think that if they only offer me 32k I will turn the offer down as I don't want to be struggling every month plus I would want to save money each month like I currently do.

Quote Originally Posted by anarchy01:
    Thanks for the replies, so I think its around 32k not sure on the benefits as yet but I will ask for some rent allowance or help towards it at least. Also another option I could always just rent a room thats common here in Singapore is it common in HK to do this?
    Rooms in Hong Kong are more like closets, so beware.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast