Living in HK and working in Shenzhen

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

If your husband works in Lo Wu forget the ferry/buses. I would go for the train as the train is the only way to get to Lo Wu without going through another entry port to China and driving around to it within Shenzhen. (Which =time) Best to live on east rail tracks, live in the NT like Sha Tin or Tai Po. That way equal commute for both of you, and rent is cheaper.

Where in Kowloon are you working?

Quote Originally Posted by HKChigger:
    If your husband works in Lo Wu forget the ferry/buses. I would go for the train as the train is the only way to get to Lo Wu without going through another entry port to China and driving around to it within Shenzhen. (Which =time) Best to live on east rail tracks, live in the NT like Sha Tin or Tai Po. That way equal commute for both of you, and rent is cheaper.

Where in Kowloon are you working?
    Thanks HKChigger ! Great help this forum with all of you so generous in giving time and infos.
    Do you know a good international nursery for our one-year old baby in Shatin / Tai Po or Kowloon ?
    I don't know yet where I will work as the office will move by the time I start working in HK...

After checking it right, it happens that my husband is gonna work in Shekou-Shenzhen. What is then the best place to live if I work in Kowloon-Hong Kong ?

Ferries go all the time from Hong Kong/Kowloon to Shekou.(45 mins -1hr 15 min apart in general) Kind of expensive, even in the day it is $115 each way and takes about an hour. I guess that's the best to get to Shekou though.

Could be a problem in Typhoons though. So you will want to think of that too.

Last edited by HKChigger; 26-06-2007 at 04:24 PM.

Indeed, it is expensive ! And I wasn't thinking of Typhoons, as we don't know that here in Switzerland !!!
    But thanks for that info !

If you decide to use the ferry, you aren't going to want to live in the NT (Sha Tin, Tai Po). Could then move into Kowloon itself, making your commute a breeze.

I saw that the ferry ride from Lantau island is shorter to Shekou (30 min). Is that a nice place to live with a little baby ? Are there kindergarten over there ? What is the comuting time to Kowloon ?

There is a ferry from the airport but it is like $240 each way. Kindergarden is in Tung Chung which may be an ok place.

Quote Originally Posted by Camka:
    I saw that the ferry ride from Lantau island is shorter to Shekou (30 min). Is that a nice place to live with a little baby ? Are there kindergarten over there ? What is the comuting time to Kowloon ?
    There's a ferry btwn Lantau and Shekou?

The only one that I know there is one for passengers who will fly in and out of the HK airport. Boarding passes and tickets need to be shown in order to board.

Also, communiting by taxi and/or bus between Shekou and LuoHu District can take hours or under an hour depending on the road traffic.

To commute from Kowloon-side Ferry Terminal to Lantau depends where in Lantau you will live Tung Chung or Discovery Bay.

The ways that I know how to commute fom Kowloon-side Ferry Terminal to Lantau can either be done by taking a going the MTR at Kowloon Station (a 15 minute dusty walk due to the KCRC southern link construction or a 5 minute taxi/bus ride) then taking the MTR Tung Chung Line to Lantau
    or
    from Kowloon-side Ferry Terminal to Lantau find your way via MTR and/or bus to the Central Piers and take a Ferry (about 30 to 40 minutes to Central)
    Last edited by Alby; 26-06-2007 at 11:28 PM.

Hi, I'm also in the same situation with my husband. Have you found a place? I'm moving from Australia this year. We are looking for a services apartment first and have a look around.
    What are your plans?