Living in HK and working in Shenzhen

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Living in HK and working in Shenzhen

Hello dear expat community !
    We are thinking about moving to Hong Kong as my boss offered me a great position. My husband is in furniture and could find a job in Shenzhen. The question is : does anyone live in Hong Kong and commute every day to Shenzhen ? Is there a place in Hong Kong where transport is easier/faster to reach Shenzhen ?
    Looking forward to receiving your experiences....
    Thanks a lot

Camka - Very common for people to live in HKSAR and commute to Shenzhen and other areas of Guandong each day.

People either live out in the New Territories towards Yuen Long and tend to go by bus/car to the Huang Gang boarder point crossing in Lok Ma Chau or live along the KCRC line and commute by train each day to the the Lu Wu boarder point crossing.

Some companies, everyday, meet in a common point and bus/car pool employees over the boarder too.

I live in HK and commute to SZ. Because our office is near Lo Wu, I live on the KCR line about halfway between HK Island and SZ. SZ is a big place and you need to know where the office is/is going to be before deciding on where to live in HK.
    The commute is not fun, takes 75 minutes each way and involves crossing 2 immigration points coming and going, plus all the stamps in the passport. Having a HKID card eases one of the 2 immigration points unless there is a major exodus from HK to SZ (like holidays).
    Having said that, I would not want to live in SZ.

I agree to not living in SZ, but passports can be a problem. They are not always so easy to get overseas and you often need to send in an old passport while waiting for new ones (So you can't cross the border in to China) Not sure how often you would need a new passport. But, I guess a 24 page passport can't hold out more than a few months.

HKChigger - True this is a pain but not for all as
    US Passport Holders can have pages added (sewn in) to passports at Consulate offices. Therefore, do not have to mail in the entire passport to receive a new one.

Does anyone know details of road options from Shatin to Luo Hu (SZ side)? I have just started working in Luo Hu in Shenzhen and will soon live in Shatin and commute on the KCR.

The train is ok but would love to find out if I could hook up on a daily bus or car ride in and out of Luo Hu from Shatin..!

Quote Originally Posted by Camka:
    Hello dear expat community !
    We are thinking about moving to Hong Kong as my boss offered me a great position. My husband is in furniture and could find a job in Shenzhen. The question is : does anyone live in Hong Kong and commute every day to Shenzhen ? Is there a place in Hong Kong where transport is easier/faster to reach Shenzhen ?
    Looking forward to receiving your experiences....
    Thanks a lot
    I know a few families who chose to live in HK because of schools and where the husbands live in serviced appts in Shenzen during the week and come back to HK for the weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by GM1:
    Does anyone know details of road options from Shatin to Luo Hu (SZ side)? I have just started working in Luo Hu in Shenzhen and will soon live in Shatin and commute on the KCR.

The train is ok but would love to find out if I could hook up on a daily bus or car ride in and out of Luo Hu from Shatin..!
    You would need to take either a bus from the city to Lok Ma Chau and then change to public transport on the China side (some buses, and soon Metro, but mainly taxi/private car) I know there are buses in Tsuen Wan, Wan Chai, Tsim Sha Tsui, Mong Kok, Kam Sheung Road. Can't remember if any other locations.

You could also take a KMB bus going to Lok Ma Chau/San Tin or areas around there and change to the cross border shuttle bus. It takes you around the road to the Hong Kong crossing, you re-board the bus and it takes you to China customs, go through that and then change to pub. transport.

There is also a shuttle that goes from Sheung Shui I think to Man Kam To or Shau Tau Kok....Can't remember which one. Once again you would need to switch to taxi on the other side.

Thanks for all this information. We were also thinking of the solution where my husband stays in SZ once or twice a week, but as I will also be working full time in HK, I will need some help from him...
    What would be the best place to leave if I work in Kowloon and he works in Luo Hu ?
    Is someone driving everyday to Shenzhen ? You could then share the car drive and costs...

By the way, is there someone comuting by boat to SZ ? I remember doing it once when visiting suppliers in SZ ... How long does it take ? What are the stations in HK and in SZ ?
    Again, thanks for your help...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast