Like Tree4Likes

Moving to HK from Indonesia

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

I have also seen police checking ID in MTR stations. Again, havent seen Westeners being checked.

Quote Originally Posted by click20:
    @kacoak
    wow that sounds scary! what do u think it will happen if me and my boyfriend walk together thru immigration? clearly, i'm Indonesian and he's American (white) which is some ppl might look at me as his mistress (he warned me this too), would be it harder to me to cross the border?
    Probably. I forgot to mention that the officer also asked my friend when I will be leaving HK, and she said "tomorrow". He asked for proof of flight ticket, and she said we didn't have it on us since we were only sightseeing in Macau. I think I was lucky to get the 30-day stamp. I know of another Indonesian who tried re-entering, and similarly, told the officer that she was leaving in 2 days, and the officer only gave her a 10-day stamp. I don't know what the worst case scenario could be - could they have prevented you from entering HK altogether - probably. I think they have the right since they are border control.

And on the topic of HK police checking IDs, that happened to my helper the first week she was here. She went to the wet market and was talking to a group of Indonesian helpers when a police officer came up and asked everyone to show their HKID. She didn't have her real one at the moment, but thankfully she had her temporary piece of paper. Other helpers said it is quite often that they do this random check. So carrying your passport will not do much, especially if you are stopped while you are walking dogs. They'll be able to tell that you are not on a proper stay visa and are illegally doing side jobs. My dog walker said the same thing (she is Indian). I guess one too many people tried doing this already.

i dont want to sound insulting, but

if $$ is not an issue, then you can come in on a domestic helper visa!!

Drunken Master and kacoak like this.

Quote Originally Posted by click20:
    about marrying my bf, well it's not my decision, it's him who wants to marry me or not but he wants me to move there,
    Please tell me that's a typo (or said just to be funny).

Also if your boyfriend wants you to move (i.e.make a life change) perhaps he should do something about it (i.e. ask you to marry him).
    Last edited by Ramdom; 19-08-2011 at 06:42 PM.
    kacoak and Freetrader like this.

@ kacoak thanks for the info, guess i just have to stay in vacation-mode, just like what my boyfriend suggested.
    @dumbdonkey haha believe me, its crossed my mind before, and i've already told him about domestic helper visa, he just said big no no, but lets say i have this kind of visa, can i still be able to work as professional (i.e banking, travel/hotel industry) ?
    @ramdom no i'm not being funny, yes he's asking me to move there but i dont think that we're ready for marriage yet, i mean, we're both still young and there are some issues that need discussion. although, tbh i do dream marrying him someday but we still need more time to grow

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3