Like Tree4Likes

Moving to HK from Indonesia

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Moving to HK from Indonesia

Hello, I'm Female 22 years old, Indonesian, hold a bachelor degree of Political Science (studied International Relations in Uni). i'm planing to move to HK maybe next year to live with my american boyfriend who already lives and works there. i've read lots of posts in this forum about working, living, possibility of racism to Indonesian, but i still need more closure about moving to HK.

1. Working :
    a. i have 4 months marketing experience in Banking Industry, do you think it's gonna help me finding a job in HK? i quitted my job because i didnt really like working in a bank, especially funding marketing officer, but i dunno.. is there another choice for job in HK? cuz i read that banking/finance industry is big in HK, but i'm more interested in travel,tourism,books,restaurant,hotel job. Do you think travel/tourism/hotel/restaurant job can support me to live in HK? i dont need a big salary since i dont have to worry about accomodation. maybe 20.000-25.000 HK isnt that big, right? i just need some money to save a little and pay my own bills like eating, and some girl stuff.

b. about racism: do u think nationality will affect me on finding a job?

2. Living:
    - i cant stand for cold weather, i think i could only handle until 15 degress C of temperature, what's the lowest temperature in HK? my bf said it's very humid there, but is it cold??
    - can i use a bike/walk to explore the city without sweating my self? is it popular using a bike in HK?
    - is it true that all the street food in HK using MSG? well, MSG is alrite for some amount but what about the cleanliness of food?
    - is it easy to make good relationship with ur neighbours? are the ppl nice enough to welcome the newcomers?
    - is it taboo to show affection (e.g kissing, hugging) to my bf?

ok i think thats my questions.. i really hope someone can give me more insights about HK. cant wait to move there

Why not just get married?

Last edited by emx; 13-08-2011 at 11:10 AM.

Could you focus on Indonesian Banks in HK? That would be your best bet but with only 4 months experience any offer would be around $15k a month, maybe a little more.

Living in HK is not really that cold. You can bike it but it's not that popular and a bit sweaty in summer.
    HK'ers are reasonably friendly, you shouldn't have a problem. Affection in public, no problem, you can enjoy your bf in public.

1. You need a reality check on the salary - a new grad isn't going to earn more than double the average salary (unless you have a fancy degree and join one of the gambling banks)! In the hotel/restaurant business you might get $8-12K. But you're very unlikely to get a visa. Basically the only way you will get a visa to live here legally is to marry your boyfriend.

2. The coldest I've experienced here is about 5degrees (but that was up on the hills). In the urban areas it gets down to 10-12 occasionally at night in winter.

I would definitely not recommend cycling in the city here. Yes you can walk, but for half of the year it's hot and humid so you'll get sweaty. The way to get around is by public transport - buses and subway.

I'm not so familiar with the street food so I'll leave others to comment on that.

If you live in a high-rise in the city then it's not so common to really know your neighbours. This is the way in every big city I've lived in. If you live out in one of the villages then maybe, but only if it is a heavily expat village.

No it's not taboo to show affection. But you will have to get used to the preconception of many people on seeing an Indonesian with a (I assume) white guy that you are basically a whore, particularly if your boyfriend is significantly older than you.

Last edited by PDLM; 13-08-2011 at 11:13 AM.

wow.. thanks so much for the fast responses..

about marrying my bf, well it's not my decision, it's him who wants to marry me or not but he wants me to move there, but it really depends on my first HK visit at Oct wheter i can live and get a job there.

well, 10K-12K is alrite, i just need to have some money to support my own expenses so i dont have to ask money from my bf. i think it's enuf, right?

about visa issues, yeah there will be a problem with that, but first i want to know more about living and working in HK, if it suits me than i'll work my ass off to get working visa in HK.

and wow, thanks so much about the input of showing affection, yes my bf is white guy but he's 28, so its not that old, right? we've been together for quite a while, and i can say that we love to show affection, even in public, not the trashy one, just a quick kiss and something like that

$10-12K is OK for personal stuff so long as you have accommodation paid for and your bf pays for any travelling you may do!

But the visa is a problem - it's not a matter of working hard for it - you simply don't appear to be qualified for any visa based on anything except being married to a HK resident.

@ PDLM

what travelling? do u mean for bus/mtr ticket?
    about visa issues, errr.. really? how so? what about working holiday visa? should i ask in immigration thread section?

As PDLM points out it's going to be very difficult to have a visa granted. As part of the visa requirements you have to have certain talents that are otherwise not available in HK. That's why I mention that working for an Indo firm such as a Indo bank is probably your best bet and still a long shot.

Last edited by virago; 13-08-2011 at 12:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by virago:
    Could you focus on Indonesian Banks in HK? That would be your best bet but with only 4 months experience any offer would be around $15k a month, maybe a little more.
    Really, are local salaries that bad in banking? What is starting salary for a M.Sc. student?

hmm thank you so much for the warning, i read a lot about working visa in HK and yeah it seems difficult to get one, but we'll see
    btw, indonesian passport holder can only enter HK for 30 days, what if i'm going to Macau and get another 30 days ? is it possible?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast