India-hk sept

Closed Thread

India-hk sept

Hi i am moving over to hk end of sept. Grateful if someone cud share a list of items required to get over from india?? My employer is paying for a container load of shipment. Does it make sense to carry over furniture and basic electrical appl??

Do not bring any furniture. Apartment sizes in HK are tiny. Bring the Indian cooking utensils.

if your budget for housing is 12-14k..you are not going to get a very large apt so most of your furniture might not fit.go with oldtimers suggestion.

Agree with Oldtimer... I was in your same situation, I'm so happy I didn't bring anything over here. You will be surprised at how small the apartments are. I think you use the same electrical plug in India, so feel free to bring things you don't want to buy again... electric razor, and things like that.

You really don't need much, as you will be working most of the time, or meeting up with friends!

One thing I do suggest, try to renegotiate the contract and stress to your employer that the size of housing in HK will be significantly smaller than what you are use too. Tell them you will need to buy new furniture that will fit in your smaller accommodation, so you won't need the shipping container to bring stuff over. I was able to make it work, but you need to be able to sell it to your boss.

Just point out that you wouldn't mind bringing stuff, but what are you going to do if your furniture doesn't fit? They should understand.

Best of luck!!!

Also - you should bring some good food to share with the people who are giving you advice :-)

Last edited by barnesc; 05-09-2011 at 06:24 PM.

Dont get furniture at all since it is humid here and most Indian furniture will not last long. IKEA, DSC or Priceright can support all your furniture needs and they are not too expensive. You can also get custom furniture made in Shenzhen and they deliver to HK.

Get the Indian utensils like wok, pressure cooker, rolling pin etc. No need to get fry pans or other pots and pans since they are easily available and quite cheap. It depends on what kind of cooker you get at home. If it is an induction hob you will have to get utensils which work on it.

Get your linen from India. Sheets, towels etc can be expensive and no where near the quality you get in India. Dont get stiff cottons though since they crumple easily and are hard to manage here.

Get your spices, dals and dried foods from India as well since these can be expensive here and you will not get the variety. Snack foods are limited in variety as well.

PM me if you need more advice. I moved out of India 5 years ago and remember pretty much all the issues I faced.

Best of luck.

Quote Originally Posted by nike439:

Get your spices, dals and dried foods from India as well since these can be expensive here and you will not get the variety. Snack foods are limited in variety as well.
    I have seen all Dals and spices (MDH)readily available here, unless OP uses home made spices. What dried food and snacks you could not find here?

Actually there are some dals and spices that I use which I just do not get here. I have to get these on my yearly visits to India. By variety I meant more in the kinds of brands you prefer than actual spices themselves. Having said that there are some spices (like shahi zeera) that you just cant find here.

On snacks I have not seen anything other than Haldiram. Dried foods could include things like badi, mangori etc.