Like Tree15Likes

Job opportunities within the legal industry in HK

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

For once, LC talks sense.

Quote Originally Posted by randy1:
    Most legal stuff in HK is done in English.
    ??? I'm not sure what type of lawyer the OP is, but the big UK/US firms (such as AO, LW, W&C, FBD, Skadden...) recruit heavily Chinese speakers since many many deals are orginated in China nowadays.

Quote Originally Posted by pin:
    For once, LC talks sense.
    You cheeky rat!

Describe looks
    justjoe86 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by luckycat:
    You cheeky rat!

Describe looks
    justjoe86 likes this.

I like your hair

Quote Originally Posted by luckycat:
    Reading and writing for a junior is very important. The vast majority of what a corporate lawyer does is verification, and drafting simple documents. Big swinging d!ck partners will rely on you not for your expertise but for your language skills.

That having been said, I came out just short of a year ago and I don't speak either canto or mando and I managed to get myself a very decent job. I wasn't NQ or looking for a TC though so I had something to bring to the table. It really is a case of networking though.

My advice would be to work your ass off to get TC in the UK. Spend that two years learning to read and write Canto (and if you can hack it, Mandarin) then look to come over. You will be in very high demand.

Good luck.
    Couldn't agree more - excellent all round Chinese language skills are pretty much expected if you have a 'Chinese face'.

One thing to add - people here do not appear to be shy about advertising their family connections either!

Hello

Thanks for your comments, Zenon and luckycat.

I can recognise basic words in Chinese...I actually learnt Mandarin at College and found it easy to recognise the Chinese symbols this way...so when I was in HK in Feb-March this year, I actually bought myself a "Learn Mandarin" CD. Started my lesson 1 at the weekend and just getting myself back into it all - the finals, tones etc...Trying to learn Mandarin to better my chances of when I do decide to move to HK.

As some of you appear to be within the legal industry who have written to me...can anyone tell me how tough it is at the moment to secure a Training Contract in HK. Trying to secure one in the UK is near enough impossible.

I am considering taking the Legal Executive route now...however, I am querying with ILEX whether a qualified Legal Executive lawyer can practice in HK...

I know that if I were to take the PCLL in HK, I would first have to take 3 conversion exams...the earliest I can take these is in June so I have a bit of time before I apply to take these so in the meantime, I am going to learn my mandarin (at the same time, learn to read and write Chinese) and get a bit more information...

Also, does anyone know if many firms in HK are more likely to offer TC's to employees or not?

Thanks, Amy

And thanks Blue88...

I guess from what you have said and most of my relatives, I should definitely get to grips with my Chinese.

Amy

Quote Originally Posted by AmyKYLeung:
    Hello

Thanks for your comments, Zenon and luckycat.

I can recognise basic words in Chinese...I actually learnt Mandarin at College and found it easy to recognise the Chinese symbols this way...so when I was in HK in Feb-March this year, I actually bought myself a "Learn Mandarin" CD. Started my lesson 1 at the weekend and just getting myself back into it all - the finals, tones etc...Trying to learn Mandarin to better my chances of when I do decide to move to HK.

As some of you appear to be within the legal industry who have written to me...can anyone tell me how tough it is at the moment to secure a Training Contract in HK. Trying to secure one in the UK is near enough impossible.

I am considering taking the Legal Executive route now...however, I am querying with ILEX whether a qualified Legal Executive lawyer can practice in HK...

I know that if I were to take the PCLL in HK, I would first have to take 3 conversion exams...the earliest I can take these is in June so I have a bit of time before I apply to take these so in the meantime, I am going to learn my mandarin (at the same time, learn to read and write Chinese) and get a bit more information...

Also, does anyone know if many firms in HK are more likely to offer TC's to employees or not?

Thanks, Amy
    Forgive the bleakness of my reply...

I know someone who came here with paralegal experience, native English speaker and fluent spoken and written Chinese (Canto and Mand) yet couldn't secure a TC in HK.

Are you sure you just need to do 3 conversion exams?

Thought it inc. HK Land, HK Constit, HK Legal Sys, HK Civil Proc, HK Crim Procedure..?

Office Hong Kong side but live on the dark side.

Paralegal jobs usually go to locals but I assume you don't require a visa and if so that helps. Be aware however time spent as a paralegal won't count towards experience required to sit the OLQE.

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast