requirement for local bank account opening

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

requirement for local bank account opening

Hi Guys, wanted to know what are the requirements for opening a local bank account if you don't have a HKID. Is it possible? Can you open a local bank account with a passport / travel doc? Is it easier if I have a global bank account overseas in order open one locally? (eg. having an HSBC account in the U.S. will make it easier for me to open a HK-based HSBC account?) Thanks guys!!

The locals must bring HKID and address proven documents (of a residential building) within 3 months, like the bills of utilities/telephone.

You must prove that you could be found as they would monitor the customers to make sure the accounts not being used imporperly.

I've heard passport is acceptable but not 100% sure. Make sure you have a residential address, not a hotel. Just ask the bank, that's better and very convenient.

If you are HSBC Premier in any country then you can now open an HSBC Premier account in any other HSBC country and your Premier status carries over (the rules changed at the beginning of this year - you no longer need to meet the Premier qualification criterion in every country - just in one).

Thanks guys. It's strange that HSBC premier has diff requirements in diff countries.

Last edited by goleoboy; 08-07-2007 at 05:01 AM.

Easiest to open is HSBC:

-Passport or HKID
    -$2500 for basic savings account. (Initial Deposit)

Other banks normally require some address proof as well and maybe a HKID.

Quote Originally Posted by HKChigger:
    Easiest to open is HSBC:

-Passport or HKID
    -$2500 for basic savings account. (Initial Deposit)

Other banks normally require some address proof as well and maybe a HKID.
    When I opened an account in HSBC, they asked for HKID ( they said they wont open an account without ID), address proof, and some amount as basic, dont remember how much.

Opened an account with HSBC yesterday.

Just the passport and a small initial deposit. They put down my Office address as the mailing address and the address on my contract (just moved to HK) as the permanent address.

Quite simple really.

thanks guys! this is very helpful! Jagmeet may I ask which HSBC branch you went to? Or the agent name? That would be great (you can PM me)> :-) We opened an HSBC acct in New York yesterday, thinking it may make it easier to open an account in HK HSBC down the line. Thanks guys, any other bank account opening experiences would be great!!

I encountered no problems opening an account at HSBC with just a passport and my US address. But from reading past threads and popping into branches of other banks and getting rebuffed, I think it all depends on person opeining the acct for you. If you do happen to get rejected, just go into another branch, or come back at a different time.

Hang Seng has a free ATM savings account (I believe it's just called ATM account). There is no minimum initial deposit or a minimum which must be maintained (in order not to get charged maintenance fees), also you get one ATM card right away and a second one(if needed) in about a week. The only catch is, you get charged if you use the tellers for withdrawals or transfers (but you can use the tellers to make deposits at No charge!). Thus, as long as you use on-line banking or ATM for your transactions, it's a no-fee, no-minimum account.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast