Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By jimbo
  • 1 Post By gilleshk

Living in Wan chai would be missing out?...

Living in Wan chai would be missing out?...

Hey there,

I'm yet another transplant from the US (actually Thai-American) moving to Hong Kong for work. I ended up getting a transfer to my company's Asian division headquartered in HK and will be traveling throughout Asia visiting and helping out with our Asian offices in trade show marketing. SUPER excited.

Anywho, my office is located in Wan Chai near the exhibition center so my first instinct is to live around there--maybe the Morrison? I'd like to get a 2 bedroom (for family and friends to visit) and max out around 18,000 HKG per month. I just wonder if I am missing out not trying a more expat known area like Mid-levels or Central which i know is way more expensive.

I'm also looking into areas like Sheung Wan which can still be in my price range. Things that are important to me are short commutes, newer living facilities (hopefully has a gym or near a nice gym), but at the same time one can change their mind when they arrive and may favor close proximity to nightlife, shops, and other attractions in place of being able to walk to work. I'm also not a big fan of hilly commutes even though I've been living in San Francisco for years :-/

BTW, great forums! I've been reading and learning so much making my move less frightening.

Thanks,
    Ben

Last edited by Bveechai; 10-09-2011 at 11:28 AM. Reason: Grammar mistake

Ben

Avoid the overpriced expat areas and don't be a sheep like the typical expats that come out here.

18k will not get you a large space on HK island side fir example. Do you have a maximum commute time?

Football16 likes this.

Wanchai is a very convenient place to live. It has excellent supermarkets(Taste and Great) within walking distance unlike Mid levels or Sheung Wan, loads of restaurants, nightlife if you're into that. It has a public swimming pool, very easy access to running/hiking trails, close to Admiralty or the ferry to go to Kowloon. Walkable distance or short cab ride to CWB, HV, Soho, LKF. Rents are a bit high these days but you can definitely find a 2 bdrm for 18K though probably not in a newer building.

My advice is to look on either side of Queen's Rd East and decide if it's for you. Loads of expats around Star st. I knew someone that rented a fairly decent 2 bdrm flat in a good but old building(Hang Tak) for 10K though that was two years ago, it's probably around 15K now. If a bigger/newer place with a clubhouse is important to you, consider looking into Kowloon or NT. Since you have thai roots, you might enjoy living near little Thailand in Kowloon City. Several brand new development at good prices and loads of very large parks around.

Last edited by gilleshk; 10-09-2011 at 12:32 PM.

talk to property agent, get squarefoot magazine. that would really help.

Mat

First Wanchai IS an expat area - same as Mid Level or Soho. By expat area I mean an area where the percentage of foreigners is higher than on average. Overall it remains Chinese like any other area of Hk, midlevel included,
    second budget is Ok but need to look for older flat,

Quote Originally Posted by gilleshk
    Wanchai is a very convenient place to live. It has excellent supermarkets(Taste and Great) within walking distance unlike Mid levels or Sheung Wan, loads of restaurants, nightlife if you're into that. It has a public swimming pool, very easy access to running/hiking trails, close to Admiralty or the ferry to go to Kowloon . . .
    Where's the pool?

Last edited by gilleshk; 10-09-2011 at 01:35 PM.
    huja likes this.

Hi Jimbo,

I don't have a max commute time. I figure around 30 minutes? If I live in Wan chai a 30 minute walk seems nicer than a 30 minute crowded mtr ride. Either way I know that Hong Kong transportation is very efficient.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. It sounds like Wan chai is a pretty good choice so I'll start looking there when I arrive.

i would NOT want a 30 minute walk in mid-summer... YUCK! you would be dripping with sweat and not smelling very sweet by the time you get to work...

as for wanchai vs mid-levels? there's about a mile and a half difference. it really would not make any difference whatsoever. instead of a 5 minute walk home from a soho restaurant, you'd have a 5 minute taxi ride.