Like Tree6Likes

Young American girl interested in a possible move...questions!

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by c100:
    Wow, I'm amazed at how helpful everyone has been! This is a great forum.

Thanks for the info

I'm sure I'll be posting more questions in the near future (and reading lots of threads in the mean time!).

I believe the words "Young American girl" probably helped
    Char Siu King and bookblogger like this.

First, find a job that will get you the working visa.
    Second if you mind about living in a shoe box, then don't bother.

Hey, I'm also an American. Let me give you my opinion, while it varies slightly from others who wrote herein.

1) Sometimes people just stare and you don't know why. The frequency of this depends on what area you are in and live in. Don't be surprised if a little girl wants a photo with you. Central is an expat area that literally feels like America, lol. I think it's harder to make friends in Hong Kong in general, and I conclude that it is due to the longer working hours. Making friends with locals prove difficult as they are often busy hustling 6 day workweeks and "asian overtime", and while I know quite a few, it is always difficult to make plans and more of a headache than not trying to arrange such. While western friendships may generally be stronger than that of asian, I'm not sure. Moving to HK, you will probably have a fair share of blues, especially if you come alone. Be prepared to go through this for quite a few months while you adjust to HK and learning the ropes. You will be able to find a job and visa sponsorship without trouble, and you can visa run until then. Get a 12 month multi-entry Mainland China visa before you come, to save money on visa runs, and save dealing with the scams and daily changing rules at the Wan Chai visa office.

2. I think Mandarin is easier in part due to having 4 tones, but also because Mandarin has more materials for learning. However, locals claim to speak Mandarin, but they don't for the most part. I think it's best to try for Cantonese as you can practice it here daily. Plus, it's all memorizing phrases, and after you get a few down, you can speak without much problems. However, many locals have "english" mode on (even though they don't speak english) when you are speaking and won't give you the chance to speak Cantonese. Being able to persist and keep trying in Cantonese is needed for good practice. I don't think there is the "r" problem. There are problems hearing the sounds and learning how to separate and distinguish them, which happens over time and with practice.

3. This is open for argument, but I think large cities in America are more diverse than HK. So not sure that said groups exist in large numbers.

4. About the apartment, ahh, well the quality of flats here are not good, and even those that look promising in photos are at best ikea made, and even ikea is worse here. The buildings for the most part are old and the outside is an eye soar. If you rent a flat, you can expect appliances not to be included (fridge, washer/dryer, air conditioner, gas stove, etc.) so these are things you need to purchase and lose the money when you leave by selling or taking with you. Some flats include some appliances but most are missing a couple. Then, even if they are included, wait till one of them breaks, then you need to argue with the landlord about who pays for it, and even if your contract says the landlord will pay for it, he may go "cheap" on you and provide a working air con, by sense that it works, but does not cool your entire flat due to improper BTU's. It's just always something, so you need to expect these extra things. Utilities and cell phone costs are minimal. Also, getting a flat requires 2 months deposit plus 1st month rent plus half month agency fee, then you get the special "foreign" person price. Once you know the ropes, you can slap the "foreign price" idea out of there head, but expect to go through 20+ agents before you get a good one.

I would recommend getting a serviced apartment, you can find some for affordable rates 6000-10000hkd in causeway bay or kowloon side. If you like the size of this, you can find a longer term flat on a classifieds website for 4000-6000, but give it a few months before you commit. The serviced apartments are fully furnished, shoe box size, i.e. smaller than a university dorm with no kitchen, includes utilities, and no surprise fees (usually), the internet will usually suck and be slow, no cable tv usually.

Overall, it's definitely fun to try, but expect some hoops and give yourself a fair timeline to give HK an honest try. Also, the decision of coming here vs another country I would say depends on your job field of interest. The space in HK is a bit of an issue, people are everywhere that it often feels like a zoo and you knock people over daily in the metro or in the shopping mall. It gets old, but you learn to ignore it, but when you are sick or not feeling well and have to deal with this, it's rough. I wish HK had a bit of mainland's property and some space, as if suburban life or at least cozy homes were an affordable option, I wouldn't think about ever leaving.

Quote Originally Posted by booth:
    I wish HK had a bit of mainland's property and some space, as if suburban life or at least cozy homes were an affordable option, I wouldn't think about ever leaving.
    There are places here with space; and even some with decent build quality - but you have to get away from the island and kowloon and be prepared to spend an hour commuting to work (each way). It's just a choice.

"3. This is open for argument, but I think large cities in America are more diverse than HK. So not sure that said groups exist in large numbers."

Do you mean in terms of looks or in terms of where people grew up prior their arrival to US/HK?
    HK is diverse enough for me, just recently I saw this muslim Indonesian maid bringing home a frackled white kid.....

Quote Originally Posted by Stoob:
    I believe the words "Young American girl" probably helped
    You weren't typing with one hand then were you Stoob?
    Morrison and jimbo like this.

Quote Originally Posted by booth:
    I wish HK had a bit of mainland's property and some space, as if suburban life or at least cozy homes were an affordable option, I wouldn't think about ever leaving.
    Fairview Park

There are many places in HK where you can live in a house with a suburban feel and for less than 25k

MinhVu1

best of luck to you sorry I have no answers since I am 22 and from the states and want to move to HK myself. I wish you the best you will do fine .

Hi,
    I moved here in January and will give you my thoughts based on my experiences. I'm a 26 year old male from a small town in South Carolina. I lived in Chicago for 3 years before moving here in January... so I've been exposed to some interesting things.

1. My co-workers are great, everyone at my company is proficient in English and go out of their way to help me every single day. Just being yourself and friendly really goes a long way anywhere in the world. I've learned the numbers and can order several different dishes at a restaurant. I even have my own Chinese name, so making friends with locals is not difficult, but then again, everyone's situation is different.

Making friends with expats is beyond easy, you will meet people from all walks of life here. I suggest you look up (Do something, Learn something, Share something, Change something - Meetup) it's a website where you can join different groups and meet new people, I recommend the hiking group since it's very active and they have hikes all the time. I met most of my friends there and through them I have a large network of people.

Don't worry about meeting people, that will come naturally... If you are a jerk, well you will have a hard time, but that applies to anywhere in the world. I'm guessing you are pretty laid back like most people in the world... so it'll be a breeze for you.

2. The language is difficult and will take time, but you'll meet great people here who are beyond patient and will help you to learn... I have a very hard time saying the number 7, but my friends continue to help me out. (My southern accent does not make it easy) The tones also make it very difficult, sometimes it sounds like i'm saying the exact same thing as a Chinese friend, but my tone is incorrect, but practice makes perfect.

3. I meet people from everywhere. I don't have a solid answer for this, I just know that you'll come across people from all over.

4. They are very small - I'm a 6'3" guy and it's annoying how I hardly have room to lay on my bed. However, it's something you get over very quickly... there are too many benefits of HK to let something like this change your mind. My suggestion would be to get a serviced apartment for the first few months, give your time to check out some areas and to meet some people. I found a guy to live with and we have a really nice apartment with an amazing view for 5,500 HKD each, in Kowloon. Everything works as it should in my apartment, so I have no issues with any of that.

Just a few things to keep in mind:

Assuming you find or have a job - will this opportunity present itself again in the future?
    Do you enjoy the high taxes of the US?
    Will you be willing to make a big move like this when/if you have a family?
    Are you open to new life changing experiences?
    Will you be home sick or can you adapt and enjoy the experience for what it is?

You can do a search on here to check out the many different lists of Pro's and Con's people have about Hong Kong... but in the end, it's all about just having the courage to go for it. I have yet to meet a person who said they didn't like it and they plan to leave... most people I've come across absolutely love it and don't want to leave.

Let me know if you have any other questions...

Best of luck!

SiuMaiTaiTai and MovingIn07 like this.