Like Tree7Likes

Moving from Hong Kong in 6 months

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Moving from Hong Kong in 6 months

I know its very early and things change in 6 months, but there are very high chances I will move back to India for good, latest by March end.

Just want to be prepared to avoid any last minute issues, missing information etc.What all do I need to do and how long each thing takes?

1) Income tax: How long does it take to do all the paper work, (assuming I carry all required papers with me, salary slips, last working day proof, ID etc) and to get back the refund ( I pay monthly through TRCs and I have deposited a few thousands extra). How long will it take for me to get back the refund.

2) MPF: how long will it take to get all MPF withdrawn. Do I need to inform them one month in advance or more? Do I and my company need to contribute during my last month of working here.

3) Towngas deposit: how long before should I inform them, to get back my deposit.

4) Rental deposit: I know I need to inform my landlords one month in advance. Now my question is, my lease finishes in Feb next year. Can i request my landlord to let me stay there for a month extra? Is there any legal binding to it? Do I need to sign something for one month extra stay?

5) Smartone Internet deposit: Have deposited HKD1200, cant remember how much, and the contract finishes mid april next year. I know ofcourse they will charge for early termination. (it will be just 15 days to one month though), they will charge me only for one month or anything extra. How long does it normally take to get back the deposit.

6) I-Cable TV: Have deposited some $$$, and the contract finishes mid aug next year. I know ofcourse they will charge for early termination. (it will be just 15 days to one month though), they will charge me only for one month or anything extra. How long does it normally take to get back the deposit.

7) phone contract finishes in March so should not be an issue i guess.

7) I have 32inch LCD TV, that I would like to take back with me. (ofcourse if anyone has first-hand experience) can i just check it in?

8) Any other information/anything else I must take care of.

Thanks.

Aiya, completely forgot about one very important thing, do I need to inform immigration about moving back for good?

Thanks

(((((((((((((((((

not even one reply.

I am so heartbroken now

TV u can take with u but most airlines allow a maximum on 30 kgs to India. Do pack properly the tv also if u have the original bill of the tv it will be great as the customs will ask u, normally the custom officers have a rate chart already printed and charge u accordingly. If u can prove to them that it is an old tv and u have used it for a few years it might fit in your duty free allowance of INR 25000

Regarding town gas deposit u need to make an online appointment for switching off your supply .Regarding the refund i think they make it through cheque and it takes 3 weeks.But u can still check with them

Another which we did was used mail forwarding for a year ( we used another local address but i think they do have international forwarding also)

Lease - our lease was expiring on 31st May and we wanted to extend till 15th June, Our landlord sent us the letter on 31st march ( we had a 2 month notice period) to vacate the apartment. Immediately we sent him a letter requesting for 15 days extension and he agreed. But this all depends on your individual landlord.

We didnt have ICAble but Now TV and Internet ,called them and set up an appointment for them to take their modems and returned the deposit back on the credit card( i am not sure)

mercury_element likes this.

Original Post Deleted
    Thanks, I will see if my landlord allows me to stay a month extra then.

>>>TV u can take with u but most airlines allow a maximum on 30 kgs to India. Do pack properly the tv also if u have the original bill of the tv it will be great as the customs will ask u, normally the custom officers have a rate chart already printed and charge u accordingly. If u can prove to them that it is an old tv and u have used it for a few years it might fit in your duty free allowance of INR 25000

Thanks. I bought it in March for some HKD4k++ I have the original papers, so should not be an issue.

>>>Regarding town gas deposit u need to make an online appointment for switching off your supply .Regarding the refund i think they make it through cheque and it takes 3 weeks.But u can still check with them

Thanks. so will I be without gas connection for two weeks then, till I get the cheque back?

>>>Lease - our lease was expiring on 31st May and we wanted to extend till 15th June, Our landlord sent us the letter on 31st march ( we had a 2 month notice period) to vacate the apartment. Immediately we sent him a letter requesting for 15 days extension and he agreed. But this all depends on your individual landlord.

Thanks, will check with landlord then.

>>>We didnt have ICAble but Now TV and Internet ,called them and set up an appointment for them to take their modems and returned the deposit back on the credit card( i am not sure)

Thanks. I heard i-cable are real pain to get back the money. I hope I dont have to argue with them again.

Regarding TownGas, there is also an option to collect the deposit in cash, 2 hours after they disconnect the supply. Just call them and request disconnection on a particular day, clearly mention that you would like to collect deposit in cash.

Once the TownGas person disconnects supply, he would handover a receipt, show this receipt at any TownGas customer service center and collect cash.

Cheers,

On the TV front, couple of my friends did actually carry a TV to India; just wrap it up properly and you can hand over a day in advance at the Airport Express Station. Ensure that they stick a 'Fragile' sticker. Pl note that only Jet Airways and Cathay have counters at Airport Express...Kingfisher doesn't. If possible, carry the invoice for customs. Alternatively, if the TV cost is less than Rs. 25,000 then, note down the model number and print the typical price from any reliable website. You can use the same for customs. Anything less than 25,000 is exempt.

Finally, no need to inform Immigration that you are moving for good; it is not relevant for them.

Quote Originally Posted by mercury_element:
    I know its very early and things change in 6 months, but there are very high chances I will move back to India for good, latest by March end.

Just want to be prepared to avoid any last minute issues, missing information etc.What all do I need to do and how long each thing takes?

1) Income tax: How long does it take to do all the paper work, (assuming I carry all required papers with me, salary slips, last working day proof, ID etc) and to get back the refund ( I pay monthly through TRCs and I have deposited a few thousands extra). How long will it take for me to get back the refund.

2) MPF: how long will it take to get all MPF withdrawn. Do I need to inform them one month in advance or more? Do I and my company need to contribute during my last month of working here.

3) Towngas deposit: how long before should I inform them, to get back my deposit.

4) Rental deposit: I know I need to inform my landlords one month in advance. Now my question is, my lease finishes in Feb next year. Can i request my landlord to let me stay there for a month extra? Is there any legal binding to it? Do I need to sign something for one month extra stay?

5) Smartone Internet deposit: Have deposited HKD1200, cant remember how much, and the contract finishes mid april next year. I know ofcourse they will charge for early termination. (it will be just 15 days to one month though), they will charge me only for one month or anything extra. How long does it normally take to get back the deposit.

6) I-Cable TV: Have deposited some $$$, and the contract finishes mid aug next year. I know ofcourse they will charge for early termination. (it will be just 15 days to one month though), they will charge me only for one month or anything extra. How long does it normally take to get back the deposit.

7) phone contract finishes in March so should not be an issue i guess.

7) I have 32inch LCD TV, that I would like to take back with me. (ofcourse if anyone has first-hand experience) can i just check it in?

8) Any other information/anything else I must take care of.

Thanks.

1) You need to settle your final tax bill and then it can be pretty fast. Do note that your company is legally obliged to withold your last salary payment untill they receive a letter of release from the IRD.

2) You need to go to the Home Affiars Department to have a form signed in which you say you are departing HK. Only then the MPF can release the money. This can take a few weeks up to two months depending on your MPF service provider

Deposits: it can take up to 12 weeks before you can get refunds. Read the contracts as it's stated in there usually.

As for your rental place, negotiate with the landlord. I don't think he minds you to stay 1 more month as long as you pay the rent. Perhaps he wants a premium but so be it (saves the hassle of finding and moving to a place for a month)

Don't writer about the tv.customs in india will not bother you.its not big enough.my parents took one few months and just walked out with it.having said that do take the papers along.

Don't worry about immigration.your employer will inform them.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using GeoClicks mobile

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast