Moving to HKG any regrets

Closed Thread
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by jenifa:
    back home in the Western world, was a bit geeky, quite awkward and shy around women, and who - work wise - was very much a very small fish in a very large pond.

They then come to HK, where because they're English speaking expats, at work they suddenly become huge fish in tiny ponds, and socially, the kind of women who wouldn't look twice at them 'back home', are suddenly throwing themselves at them.
    They are Charisma Men , named after the famous comic book character.

It is tragicomic to watch them!

Quote Originally Posted by squid:
    They are Charisma Men , named after the famous comic book character.

It is tragicomic to watch them!
    But very nice to be one....

Your scaring me too now with these stories. Cant you guys keep in in your pants while the wife is away?
    So alot of you men are quite happy to have a mixed marriage?
    You dont mind that these woman are sometimes just after you because you are white and they assume wealthy? Would you consider an asian wife if you were still living at home.. eg, UK, australia, NZ, USA ??

Also do the white woman get chased by local men as is quite the case in Indo and thailand.

Quote Originally Posted by pkrs:
    Your scaring me too now with these stories. Cant you guys keep in in your pants while the wife is away?
    So alot of you men are quite happy to have a mixed marriage?
    You dont mind that these woman are sometimes just after you because you are white and they assume wealthy? Would you consider an asian wife if you were still living at home.. eg, UK, australia, NZ, USA ??
    No, yes, no but yes if it was just about money, yes.

As hullexile says.

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected]:
    Thanks for sharing. This changes my opinion. If this is ur situation, it does seem like moving away would have been the best thing for your marriage had she agreed to it. Frankly, it also diminishes my hopes that she would have followed you eventually. You never know, that may still happen.

I wish you all the best.
    Haven't read all the posts but quite simply a marriage that is struggling in one location will NOT improve in another locale.

If it doesn't work where you are, it won't work in a totally new environment thousands of miles from your usual family and friends.

It is much the same as any individual. If you are not happy in one place with your life, you won't be happy just because you move to a new city.

The exceptions are numerous but this applies generally speaking to marriages and people.

You might get some extra time in a marriage by moving as the spouse might find it harder to bail in the new environs but time is not what you need if it is broke and not working anyways.

I'd make my marriage work or end it before moving.

This is not a racist comment just what I believe.
    Many local or chinese woman are after a white guy for his money, the lifestyle they will live, the possibility of living the rest of their life in a european country. I think you men are totally fooling yourselves if you think its your... ummm good looks and fantastic personality that attracts them.
    ;o)

Last edited by pkrs; 26-07-2007 at 10:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by pkrs:
    I believe local woman or chinese are after a white guy for his money, the lifestyle they will live, the possibility of living the rest of their life in a european country. I think you men are totally fooling yourselves if you think its your... ummm good looks and fantastic personality that attracts them.
    ;o)
    Standard stereotype view. Do you actually know any mixed marriage couples? I am not stupid enough to think that the element of security did not play a part, but:
    - my wife turned down a multi-millionnaire diamond dealer to marry someone who was in debt
    - she has absolutely no wish to go to Europe (even for a holiday), the idea of going to the UK fills her with dread as she thinks the weather there is similar to Siberia
    - her dream is that I give up my job and teach English in the Philippines on 2 pounds a day

How does that fit with your simplistic analysis?

Without really wishing to be offensive, perhaps instead of just coming out with this easy "its all about money" line it would be worth asking the many western men who choose Asian women why? Also don't you think it is a little offensive to Asian women to label them as being so materialistic? I have a friend the same age as me who has married an English girl the same age as my wife. Did she do it just for the money or is it only Asian women who do this?

Quote Originally Posted by climber07:
    To be perfectly honest, many girls in HK aren't exactly what I would call knockouts (in fact many are built like prepubescent boys...i.e. no boobs or hips). Guys who are after lookers definetely move to Tokyo before HK (in my humble opinion).

What you do find is that many old horny men (with $$$) do find that they can pull young "sugarbabies" and this causes the breakup of many marriages. It must be a great power trip for a guy in his 40s - 60s to get a 20 something gf. Keep in mind that HK is much more materialistic than US so $$$ is everything.
    I dont think i am the only person who has the view that SOME HK woman are materialistic. re... climbers quote.
    Sorry if i offended you hullexile, not my intention. I am glad you have a loving wife and happy marriage.
    MY "simplistic analysis" is based on opinions i have formed from what i have been told from white male friends who WERE married to asian wives. And yes i know a number of happy mixed marriages as well.
    I did say many NOT all.
    Last edited by pkrs; 26-07-2007 at 06:09 PM.

Closed Thread
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast