Moving to HKG any regrets

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Moving to HKG any regrets

I would like to hear from those who have moved to HKG and their afterthought was it a good decision?How do you find it?I will be moving soon,but the wife has decided not to go(another story).
    I have been offered a good package and a great job,what does one do?

We moved up here about a month ago and loving it. Sure we miss family and friends, but this opportunity was too good to pass up. I certainly came with the approach to embrace everything and it's paying off. Even though I'm not working, there is always plenty to do and see and when it all gets too much I retreat to the apartment. I'll probably feel differently in a few months when the pollution kicks in tho.

No regrets at all. Just a note of warning though, my wife also decided not to come and she is now the ex and I have married someone I met here.

Statistics show that would probably have happened even if she had come, so that probably saved some grief all round.

HK is a great breaker of expat marriages (and maker of marriages between gweilos and Asian women - Tony: don't worry mate you'll love it out here without the wife...).

Last edited by PDLM; 19-07-2007 at 11:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    Statistics show that would probably have happened even if she had come, so that probably saved some grief all round.

HK is a great breaker of expat marriages (and maker of marriages between gweilos and Asian women - Tony: don't worry mate you'll love it out here without the wife...).
    Very true, I wonder if divorce costs should be part of the relocation package?

No regrets.

Wasn't married but then relationship lasted less than a year.

Married now and would take a major shift in circumstances to get me to live in UK again...

Very true, I wonder if divorce costs should be part of the relocation package?
    Worth negotiating at the least.

Someone I know who spent a few happy years here with his Thai gf was sat on his settee back in the UK with his English wife (who had not come to HK with him) when a British MEP on the TV said "any businessman who has been to Hong Kong and claims he did not have sex is lying".

Get out of that one. Admit it and face divorce, but deny it and you must be lying according to the MEP.

Why on earth did he go back?

Very good question to which I have no real answer, perhaps he wanted a rest?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast