Following partner from London to HK

Closed Thread

Following partner from London to HK

Hi there!

My partner might be moving to HK for work and we're thinking about the whole situation. We aren't married and I won't work the first 6 month as finishing studies so wondering how the visa thing would work. Also I have a business (childcare agency)here and not sure how that's going to go. A bit scared of losing all the little comforting habits we have here, from PT to dansing.... If anyone could give me any kind of advice/experience etc that would be great! Thanks!

British passport holders get 180 days visa free entry to Hong Kong, but that is to visit, not "to take up residence in the HKSAR". See The Government of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region - Immigration Department

Get married and get a a dependent visa, or get a qualification (TEFL?) and get a company to sponsor a working visa in Hong Kong. I think even if you stay here 'illegally' by extending tourist visas (some do that; some are stopped by immigration), you might end up going crazy because you are just sitting at home all day and you don't know anyone except your partner's friends.

Thanks, I know the "illegal" option is not an option for us and you're right staying alone all day would drive me nuts! The thing is that first I really can't work (re:studies) until probably like 6 month after. Getting married in the next few month for a visa sends my partner to the roof ;-) And we're on french passports.... Oh that looks like a headhache but we're really looking into the whole experience...

Quote Originally Posted by NinaV:
    Thanks, I know the "illegal" option is not an option for us and you're right staying alone all day would drive me nuts! The thing is that first I really can't work (re:studies) until probably like 6 month after. Getting married in the next few month for a visa sends my partner to the roof ;-) And we're on french passports.... Oh that looks like a headhache but we're really looking into the whole experience...
    French passport is 90 days only for info.