Like Tree13Likes

I'm moving to Hong Kong & would like help on family areas and schools.

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by hutchieboy:
    What is that supposed to mean?
    Paragraphs?

And DB is boring as hell.

Quote Originally Posted by mejulie9:
    As for schooling looks like you are right we have to apply asap so thats what we are in the process of doing. Does anyone know anything about the difference between a General Application and a Corporate Surety Application for the ESF school applicaiton, if the company is paying this debarture is this the same as a Surety, sorry to sound thick but this is all very new to me. ps very impress with all your information I can't thank you enough.
    ESF does not do debentures. You need check which school they have a (corporate) debenture for. Some schools have private/personal debentures (= different), and they all rank differently in terms of chances. CSS applications can only be done Jan-June for entry August 2012, and it may not be the school in your catchment (and you need to stay in that school for 1 year until you can do an internal ESF transfer - or move to that area).

Agree with everyone above, get a school place first before you get your apt!

About schools, you can also try Rosary Hill School (primary session). It's just local private school but there're kids from various countries, so they also facilitate the needs for multicultural kids. Good thing is it doesn't need debenture as it's not international school; and you kids can learn Mandarin in a friendly area.

In that case, you can consider to live on HK side so your husband doesn't need to take over 1 hrs to work in Central.

Last edited by wjazzw; 18-11-2011 at 05:41 PM.

just because someone lives in kowloon or nt does NOT mean it will take over 1 hour to commute to central!

if i were to take the public transport from my place (sai kung country park) it would take about 1.5-2 hours BUT i can drive to central in 45 minutes. and i live MILES away from central. not everyone wants to live on hk island. it is not the be all and end all of life in hk.

(while i appreciate that some love living on hk island, others love that they are NOT in the middle of everything.)

MovingIn07 likes this.

Original Post Deleted
    thank you, i realise that. my point was that it is still only 45 minutes commute and to say that living off hk island means you will commute an hour each way is completely misleading. (refer to the post previous to mine by wjazzw)

i know that not everyone wants to live out in the boondocks. when i was younger, i didn't either. when i was new to hk and it was all very exciting (pre-handover), no way would i want to live out here.... to each his own. i only ask that when painting a picture of various areas, that they be somewhat accurate, this isn't a developer's advertisement afterall....

sorry caring if you think my post to be misleading for commute an hour. Kln side or even NT can be within 30-45 mins transport if you're right by the MTR.

actually even living on hk island can also commute over an hour at some extreme occasions (rains & storm, accident, even big events that some roads are blocked...)

Sai Kung is a great place to live with spacious green and air, while one can't just take a lunch break to rush home to have a look at kids at time of fever if working in Central.

agree with DeletedUser, it's not that enjoyable to drive after long hours of work, not yet counting dinner entertainment with WINE...

Quote Originally Posted by hutchieboy:
    What is that supposed to mean?
    Well aware it's long after the fact, but, your post in question was full of poor English usage, spelling errors, lack of proper punctuation, etc. If, as you claim, you are a teacher, it reflects poorly on your skills and the quality of education provided at the school at which you are employed.

Thank you everyone. We have now got a House in Sai Kung and my husband has started his new job about a month ago. He gets the bus then MTR to work and it takes about 35 minutes, he has commented on how fantastic the public transport is in HK. As for the school we also have a place for my daughter in HLYIS which is also about 35 minutes from our house, this is further than we wanted but think we are very very lucky to get a place for January. Had no chance in the ESF schools as they all had very long waiting list. Me and my daughter fly over next week to start our new life in HK. Really looking forward to it.

cool! i'm in sai kung, too! if you have any questions about the area, just send me a message. I'd be happy to help if I can.

Quote Originally Posted by goodeal:
    Hi, try Grand Pacific Views/Heights in Siu Lam right at the 2nd exit of Tuen Mun. Drive to Central is about 20-25 min through Western Tunnel as there is no traffic light from Siu Lam to Central until your car exit from the tunnel. Circular shuttle bus to Tsuen Wan (20 min) MTR and 3 Shuttles to HK, Wanchai & Causeway during rush hours in the morning and evening. Mini bus + public bus to Tuen Mun Central Plaza (15 min). 20 min to airport (again because of no traffic lights). Quite convenient even if you don't want to drive. Tuen Mun has a very large Shopping malls, while shopping malls in Tsuen Wan is a bit scattered. But shopping malls nowadays carry similar brands and service offerings.

GPV (5 Blocks of ~1500') has sea view of the airport and there is a beach right in front of the estate. High floors can see Disney Fireworks very night. GPH (4 Blocks ranging 850' to 1096') are at the back. Floors above 20/F can see the reservoir at the back and seaview + Disney Fireworks at night. The famous Harrow Intl School and Zhuhai University which are 5-10 min away will open next year. This SHKP estate is a duplicate of Pacific Views in Repulse Bay in terms of building materials and floor plan. So the exterior and interior are of high quality. Air condition has both warm and cool air (a rare even for expensive apartments in the city). Price and rental are much cheaper (GPV around $5K-6K/sq ft; GPH around $4K/sq ft). GPV rents about $18K-22K depending of the floor and conditions) GPH rents about $14K to $18K. Can open windows to enjoy Fresh air at GPH as the buildings are away from Traffic Noise and Dust. So in terms of value for money, you won't be able to find another match in HK.

I stay here since back from Canada and have on the top floor with roof and so enjoy the greeneries outside the window, the reservoir and sea views + Disney fireworks, and do barbecue on the roof top. Can't stay in the city anymore due to the pollution and noise. Full size windows to the knee for all rooms and even without seaviews, one will get mountain view. The best part is that I can see double rainbow occasionally after rain. Good sun and wind if you are lucky to get an apartment facing east (which is most popular). Residents consist of both Locals and Foreigners. 2 swimming pools (1 indoor 1 outdoor), indoor basketball field, badminton, squash, sauna, steam room, jacuzzi, tennis court, golf practice range etc. Children can ride their bicycle within and around the estate as the roads are private with not much traffic. Good for joggers as well. Carpark rent is about $1800/mth. Building Mgmt Fee is only $1.7/sq ft and usually inclusive in the rental if renting. If you like to get a feel, let me know. I have some pictures posted at Picasa.
    guess you missed her post saying they got a house in sai kung....