Like Tree22Likes

Aussie Looking to emigrate to HK ASAP

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Work visas CANNOT be obtained first. they MUST be sponsored by the company offering the job.

it is illegal to look for work while here on holiday. others have done it in the past, but it is illegal.

also, pet peeve: you IMMIGRATE TO a place and EMIGRATE FROM a place.

Quote Originally Posted by bak875:
    do you want to study further? I know costs are a major factor, maybe enroll into a Master Degree in HK. You'll get a feel for the place make contacts and maybe (depending on the course) your allowed to work for a year after graduation.
    I do want to study further, however I think I want to work in HK specifically (for experience) for 1-2 years. Then afterwards come back to Australia to study where I feel more "comfortable".

There isn't a thing as a General employment visa.
    Yes there is - See Here

Quote Originally Posted by Claire ex-ax:
    If you come as a "visitor", I believe that technically you are supposed to be doing holiday stuff. However, many, many people do just that.
    True, I would come as a visitor, attempt to find a job under the

Steps:
    1. Find a job.
    2. Get employer to sponsor an employment visa (note: not all are willing to do this; many will even put this in the ad)
    3. Wait to see whether Immigration will issue you an employment visa. Sponsor must show they can't find a permanent resident in Hong Kong who can do the job. The pay must be at a certain level - many disputes here as to how much that is and that's why entry-level jobs (many paying $8-10K a month) won't usually pay enough and employee won't have enough experience to warrant an employment visa.
    4a. If no employment visa issued, you leave after 90 days wondering whether to try again.
    4b. Employment visa issued and you go to Macau for the day so you can re-enter HK on the visa.

If 4b, realise how crazy the rents are in Hong Kong; post back on Geoexpat to complain about it and asking where to find some place cheap to live. [/QUOTE]
    I have been attempting to find an employer willing to "sponsor" me for nearly 2 months now. Barely even had replies! Can you guys suggest any websites/contacts that may be able to assist?

I did have a look on geoexpat for jobs, but I could not see any IT ones (or hardly any at all).

I'm willing to try anything I guess, desperate to get out of my current situation.

Thanks so much for replies so far guys. I really appreciate it.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

And if you are thinking of working as a visitor, there is an Australian risk management consultant doing time in a Hong Kong clink who will tell you that it's not always worth it.

Actually, the consultant may have already left prison and been booted out of Hong Kong.

bak875 likes this.

Grr. I replied, but then it got deleted somehow. I shall start again!

do you want to study further? I know costs are a major factor, maybe enroll into a Master Degree in HK. You'll get a feel for the place make contacts and maybe (depending on the course) your allowed to work for a year after graduation.
    I think I just want to work for 1-2 years in HK ("see the world" type stuff. Then I will probably move back to Australia to do another degree of sorts.

What about this thing then?

If you come as a "visitor", I believe that technically you are supposed to be doing holiday stuff. However, many, many people do just that.

Steps:
    1. Find a job.
    2. Get employer to sponsor an employment visa (note: not all are willing to do this; many will even put this in the ad)
    3. Wait to see whether Immigration will issue you an employment visa. Sponsor must show they can't find a permanent resident in Hong Kong who can do the job. The pay must be at a certain level - many disputes here as to how much that is and that's why entry-level jobs (many paying $8-10K a month) won't usually pay enough and employee won't have enough experience to warrant an employment visa.
    4a. If no employment visa issued, you leave after 90 days wondering whether to try again.
    4b. Employment visa issued and you go to Macau for the day so you can re-enter HK on the visa.

If 4b, realise how crazy the rents are in Hong Kong; post back on Geoexpat to complain about it and asking where to find some place cheap to live.
    I have been trying to find a job for 2 months at least. It is very hard to find somebody to "sponsor" you. Any suggestions for websites/contacts that may additionally be able to help with finding said jobs?

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    That's a grey area. I believe, having reviewed the various legislation, that moving with an intent to stay is illegal. And certainly some people have been deported before they found jobs etc. However, if you come here on holiday, stay in hotels / with friends and act like a tourist while looking for a job, that's fine. If you come here, rent a flat, flip burgers for cash on the black market - very risky and deportable.
    That's what I would be doing. I haven't really had a holiday since I finished high school, and I am keen to relax for a month or so (I have savings). But I would also like to find employment to fund my stay for a longer period of time in HK. Like you said, grey area. :/

Quote Originally Posted by carang:
    Work visas CANNOT be obtained first. they MUST be sponsored by the company offering the job.
    No matter what? Even for the GEP I linked above?

it is illegal to look for work while here on holiday. others have done it in the past, but it is illegal.
    Ok, that is good to know. However... I got this reply directly from immd.gov.hk

Quote Originally Posted by immd:
    Visitor is prohibited from taking up employment, whether paid or unpaid, in Hong Kong. On the other hand, if there is no employment activities involved in the trip, you may come as a visitor. If subsequently you wish to apply for an employment visa, such can be done so by making an application directly to our Employment and Visit Visa Section together with the application forms and related documentation.
    So ^^^ That seems contrary to what you were saying, right?

Oh! My mistake. Apologies! In my defence, I did use a dictionary to look up the words :P

And if you are thinking of working as a visitor, there is an Australian risk management consultant doing time in a Hong Kong clink who will tell you that it's not always worth it.

Actually, the consultant may have already left prison and been booted out of Hong Kong.
    Oh no, I would never do anything like that. Always legal

Grr. I replied, but then it got deleted somehow. I shall start again!

I think I just want to work for 1-2 years in HK ("see the world" type stuff. Then I will probably move back to Australia to do another degree of sorts.

What about this thing then?

Steps:
    1. Find a job.

If 4b, realise how crazy the rents are in Hong Kong; post back on Geoexpat to complain about it and asking where to find some place cheap to live.
    I have been trying to find a job for 2 months at least. It is very hard to find somebody to "sponsor" you. Any suggestions for websites/contacts that may additionally be able to help with finding said jobs?

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    That's a grey area. I believe, having reviewed the various legislation, that moving with an intent to stay is illegal. And certainly some people have been deported before they found jobs etc. However, if you come here on holiday, stay in hotels / with friends and act like a tourist while looking for a job, that's fine. If you come here, rent a flat, flip burgers for cash on the black market - very risky and deportable.
    That's what I would be doing. I haven't really had a holiday since I finished high school, and I am keen to relax for a month or so (I have savings). But I would also like to find employment to fund my stay for a longer period of time in HK. Like you said, grey area. :/

Quote Originally Posted by carang:
    No matter what? Even for the GEP I linked above?

Ok, that is good to know. However... I got this reply directly from immd.gov.hk

Quote Originally Posted by immd:
    Visitor is prohibited from taking up employment, whether paid or unpaid, in Hong Kong. On the other hand, if there is no employment activities involved in the trip, you may come as a visitor. If subsequently you wish to apply for an employment visa, such can be done so by making an application directly to our Employment and Visit Visa Section together with the application forms and related documentation.
    So ^^^ That seems contrary to what you were saying, right?

Oh! My mistake. Apologies! In my defence, I did use a dictionary to look up the words :P

Oh no, I would never do anything like that. Always legal

Waiting for my post to be approved?

Apologies for multiple posts if I did them, did not know that posts were moderated!

They are if you are a new poster and they include links (a spam-trap)

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    They are if you are a new poster and they include links (a spam-trap)
    Ah - that would explain it. I linked to immd.

Let's hope somebody gets to it soon! It was a long reply

What's driving you to come to HK anyway? Just to get out of Oz or do you have other reasons for choosing HK as your ideal destination to move to?

Quote Originally Posted by Char Siu King:
    What's driving you to come to HK anyway? Just to get out of Oz or do you have other reasons for choosing HK as your ideal destination to move to?
    Well there are a few I guess.

Back in August I holidayed to HK for a week, as a tourist obviously. I had an INCREDIBLE time to say the least. I enjoyed how the entire place "just worked", and was attracted to the city lifestyle that is not present in any city here in Australia. I additionally would like to have some international experience on my Resume, it is always good to see somebody having worked in another country.

And additionally, for self-growth. It's more personal, and I won't go into depth too much, but I need to prove to myself that I can do this.

Make sense? :/

edit: It most certainly is not for the beaches
    Last edited by DoFoT9; 26-10-2011 at 07:15 PM.

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast