Like Tree22Likes

Aussie Looking to emigrate to HK ASAP

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

One reason, ironically, that you've not had any luck finding a job is because you are not here. An HR person going through hundreds of emails is going to ignore those which belong to someone who isn't available for an immediately interview. Also, as I mentioned before, many companies don't want the hassle of sponsoring an employment visa. You are also up against local and Mainland jobseekers who may well have similar skills to you, nevertheless are likely to be trilingual (English, Mandarin and Cantonese). If they are local candidates, they will likely live at home and will be willing to take $10K pm for a salary. That's an amount you can't live on or get an employment visa for.

You have to stand out against the competition. Being here helps - a bit. Language skills help a fair bit. You have to ask yourself what makes you so special that an employer must employ you ahead of all the other candidates. Then sell that because you're not an especially outstanding applicant (sorry) when compared to the competition (again, sorry).

This is why I suggested the Working Holiday Visa. You can stay here for up to 12 months. You can network, network, network (a key component in finding a job here). You can work legally - perhaps an employer will love you so much that they decide to take you on and sponsor an employment visa. Heck, even if you just work at a bar, you'll have some free time for interviews as well as some cash in your pocket.

There is another thread here about someone having been here for 6 months job hunting without success. Your ninety days will go by so fast. And then what? Back to Australia a little less flush? Do a visa run to Macau and be become a little more desperate/broke with every passing day?

BTW, the General Employment Visa still requires sponsorship (1. job; 2. employer sponsorship; 3. visa), i.e. not a visa you get first (NOT 1. visa; 2. job).

Last edited by Claire ex-ax; 27-10-2011 at 10:19 AM.
    hello_there and Ramdom like this.

Quote Originally Posted by DoFoT9:

What about this thing then?

I have been trying to find a job for 2 months at least. It is very hard to find somebody to "sponsor" you. Any suggestions for websites/contacts that may additionally be able to help with finding said jobs?
    The GEP visa you linked to IS an employment visa that must be sponsored by an employer - since you found the link to the criteria go a step further and take a look at the forms right below...

"Application Procedures

Application forms

23. Applicant should complete application form (ID 990A). The employing company should complete application form (ID 990B)..."

I would guess that the reason you are having such a hard time finding a sponsor thus far is that the jobs you are applying for can't support an employment visa as local talent can fill the positions. The employer must be able to demonstrate to the Immigration Dept that no local employee can do the job - something quite hard to show for most entry level and just above jobs. There are many fresh university grads here looking for work and pretty much if they could do it, you won't get a visa for it. Limit your focus your search on multinational companies which have more experience applying for work visas and perhaps contact a few headhunters to get their take on your chances.

Original Post Deleted
    Despite what DeletedUser writes here, if you are asked when you arrive by Immigration why you are here, please say HOLIDAY and not LOOKING FOR A JOB or you might not get through the door. As I said above, it's a grey area.

Original Post Deleted
    Settling here is illegal, visiting here is legal. Looking for a job is irrelevant.
    Where people get into trouble is trying to walk between settling and visiting.

To the OP : you're allowed to show up for a visit with your 1 or 2 suitcases. While visiting feel free to take in the sights and look for a job. Just dont work.
    You are not allowed to move here and reside here until you have a visa : so dont show up here with 6 suitcases, dont go renting an apartment for 6months and dont tell anyone that you are here to stay.
    You can be a visitor, you cant be a resident

Makes sense ?

whats the legal definition of 'visit'?

Quote Originally Posted by Claire ex-ax:
    Do a visa run to Macau and be become a little more desperate/broke with every passing day?
    hilarious.

Quote Originally Posted by dumbdonkey:
    whats the legal definition of 'visit'?
    well for some people it means quitting job, selling home, one way ticket, renting apt, looking for work, and staying away from the beaches.
    Last edited by Ramdom; 27-10-2011 at 02:57 PM.

OP - what kind of job/industry are you looking for?

Original Post Deleted
    I confirm:
    1) that its a gray area open to confusion
    2) I'm always a darling and will continue to be one. I'm cuddly too
    3) You are still Gritty and as abrasive as ever. I'm glad your vitriol has become more blunt recently but your abrasiveness is still ever present.

HAND
    MovingIn07 and hullexile like this.

Quote Originally Posted by HowardCoombs:
    Settling here is illegal, visiting here is legal. Looking for a job is irrelevant.
    Where people get into trouble is trying to walk between settling and visiting.

To the OP : you're allowed to show up for a visit with your 1 or 2 suitcases. While visiting feel free to take in the sights and look for a job. Just dont work.
    You are not allowed to move here and reside here until you have a visa : so dont show up here with 6 suitcases, dont go renting an apartment for 6months and dont tell anyone that you are here to stay.
    You can be a visitor, you cant be a resident

Makes sense ?
    Actually, it is perfectly acceptable for non-residents to rent an apartment in HKG (as long as they do not reside there, obviously). Landlords or might not like to rent to a non-resident, but there is nothing illegal about it.
    Last edited by beachball; 27-10-2011 at 03:02 PM.
    TheBrit likes this.