Like Tree22Likes

Aussie Looking to emigrate to HK ASAP

Closed Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7

Original Post Deleted
    Same kind of thing here in Australia. But you come across them if you look in the right spots. Most businesses are hybrids, (Mac/Unix+PC, etc). I can offer the all in one package, yay?

And for the record, I would consider teaching jobs.

DoFo, there's nothing wrong with being optimistic but people who have lived here for a while are saying you probably won't get a job in IT with your experience... you should take it on board.

I think you're underestimating how low starting salaries are in this industry, what is required to make you irreplaceable by a local, and how important it probably is to speak Chinese (assuming you don't?).

Unless you have a really special skill, for example a co. is using a new piece of complex software integral to their processes and you happen to be an expert in it (much more specific than mac or admin skills) it will be hard for you to get a job especially since you need to be sponsored for a visa.

If moving to HK is the priority then, as I said, teaching might be your best bet.

Edit: but assuming you can get a working holiday visa, just do that for a while. Chances are after few months you'll be longing to go back home anyway!

HK is good for an experience but unless there are decent financial incentives, the majority of people* end up going back home. I don't think IT is the industry which will offer you these financial incentives.

*not everyone, before the 2 guys who hate their home countries and love HK start arguing

Last edited by justjoe86; 30-10-2011 at 12:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DoFoT9:
    And for the record, I would consider teaching jobs.
    Oh, you should've said that earlier haha. In that case ignore my above post. What a waste of time!

What was your undergraduate degree?

Ok you already said... IT. Well, I guess you should back it up with a one month TEFL qualification, and then I expect you can get a teaching job in a language centre or kindergarten, which will pay a lot more than an entry level IT job.

The 'skill' you have which, in HK, is more important than any IT skills is fluency in English.
    Last edited by justjoe86; 30-10-2011 at 12:14 PM.

Original Post Deleted
    I disagree. The fact that the mac needs much less fixing than a PC makes it ideal for small business. We use a mix of both. Indeed, the very first company I was with used both - mac for desktop publishing and pc for analysis. I don't think it's that much of a stretch to say companies may use both. If I needed an IT guy (which I don't, sorry) it would be a bonus to find someone who did both.

Original Post Deleted
    That is unfortunate that you do not need an IT guy I think I can possess a quality of troubleshooting (for fixing issues quickly for the end users) and technical understandings (for the back-end server admin side of things) that is a little more in depth then others. For example, my uni final essay was looking at the stability of Active Directory replications between Windows domain machines. You know - that sort of stuff, it SOMETIMES helps

Know anybody that needs a desperate IT guy?

Thanks for your replies guys, I really appreciate all of the input - I have taken it all onboard.

@DeletedUser - it doesn't matter in this isntance. I can do both

Quote Originally Posted by DoFoT9:
    @DeletedUser - it doesn't matter in this isntance. I can do both
    Don't worry DoFo, if Moving said water was wet the Brit would disagree. It is like a Pavlovian response for him.

Original Post Deleted
    I won't heavily get into this argument, but Mac's are encroaching on the 15-20% market range. In USA directly, it is much higher (20% +).

This isn't a debate about which wins, for home use I own a number of Macs, because I have used them all my life and enjoy them. At work our company uses a hybrid of Macs AND PCs. Best of both worlds, if you ask me.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    Don't worry DoFo, if Moving said water was wet the Brit would disagree. It is like a Pavlovian response for him.
    It's tempting ......
    hullexile and Satay Sue like this.

Closed Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7