Like Tree32Likes

60K for family of 3?

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

And one thing I don't get is why people think an hr commute is such a deal breaker anyway. You guys all spend so much time on geoexpat... you know you can access that while you sit on a bus. Or you can read a newspaper. Or you can do some work on your laptop. Or you can read a book. Or you can phone someone. Or you can write emails.

It's like HK is full of children who can't handle an hr alone without moaning "muuum, daaad, I'm boooored"... especially when people go and quadruple their rent (or more) in the name of an extra 20 mins in bed.

jimbo, MovingIn07 and carang like this.

If it's a personal choice why do people tell other people they shouldn't do it?

But some posters do take the proverbial and say no more than 20 mins commute.
    Some of the guys on here seem to want the world on a stick.

> JJ...because the OP was asking for advice? Of course every post made here should be prefaced with the obligatory 'IMHO' I suppose....

60K is good...but not sure if good enough for a western family in Hong Kong...60k is pretty good for Asians in Hong Kong.

Actually Americans and British citizens are offered crazy high salary...so according to that ratio 60K is pretty low ( I'm assuming your hubby would be working in some financial institution or law firm)

Original Post Deleted
    Once, in 4 years? (Actually, including the time I was moving furniture and boxes around and one urgent meeting, I think it's a total of three times in 4 years covering both directions).

Quote Originally Posted by anothercanuck:
    > JJ...because the OP was asking for advice? Of course every post made here should be prefaced with the obligatory 'IMHO' I suppose....
    I'm not talking about just this thread. Maybe op said they don't want a commute (did they?) But either way... some people take it to obsession that they won't travel far, even if it means they live in 700sqft instead of 2000sqft for the same price. Or even if they spend $30k rent instead of $8k rent for the same flat.

If people are offering advice on the basis of a commute maybe they should mention these details a bit more explicitly, especially since OP made it clear she won't be working so they're living from one income.

If I was OP's husband I'd happily sacrifice 30 mins extra commute if it meant my family had a better living standard. Indeed, I do already to a certain extent.

Of course for some people money is no object but let's not assume that as a prerequisite for accepting your advice.
    jimbo and luckycat like this.

Quote Originally Posted by justjoe86:
    And one thing I don't get is why people think an hr commute is such a deal breaker anyway. You guys all spend so much time on geoexpat... you know you can access that while you sit on a bus. Or you can read a newspaper. Or you can do some work on your laptop. Or you can read a book. Or you can phone someone. Or you can write emails.

It's like HK is full of children who can't handle an hr alone without moaning "muuum, daaad, I'm boooored"... especially when people go and quadruple their rent (or more) in the name of an extra 20 mins in bed.
    Great post. For the first 2 years I was here, I mainly learned languages on an ipod, which was great for my first few trips to China etc. The last year (since I've been so much busier at work) I typically just fire up the laptop on the mobile broadband and get to work on the bus, unless I have an early meeting (8am or so in Central) in which case I just stagger to the bus and catch up on some zzz's before the meeting

Not hard, given I always go for bus options which have a seat.
    justjoe86 likes this.

Exactly. In fact, I had a job with a 45 minute commute and I also had a job with a 2 min walk.... for the latter, I generally arrived at work with wet hair from the shower and sleep in my eyes! I often longed for the 45 mins I used to spend gathering my thoughts. Of course I could've got up an hr earlier (erm... yeah right, snooze buttons are like dictators)

Sorry op for runining your thread but hopefully it gives you food for thought.

To each their own. In winter Mr SS has to be in the office for 6.40am (to prepare for Australian stock market hours) An hour's commute (or even 40mins) would be a total pain.

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast