Like Tree32Likes

60K for family of 3?

Reply
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
  1. #51

    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    2,259

    Anyway the clear consensus from the posters is 'you should definitely live in the same place I live, it's clearly the best place to live' so that's clear. Hull will be along shortly to suggest the Phillipines.


  2. #52

    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    12

    typing error

    u guys are right, 25 mins that what i wanted to type.


  3. #53

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Gold Coast Marina
    Posts
    17,941

    Having family living in tai Koo Shing would appear to be the best reason NOT to live there. While baby sitting might be handy - are you close to them or close to the HK family dynamic these days? If so, fine, you are probably on the wrong forum. If not, you may find that now you are an independent westerner they drive you crazy.


  4. #54

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    1,107
    Quote Originally Posted by luckycat:
    Bak - the journey planner says 26 mins. I agree with you though. That doesn't factor the time in walking to the platform, itching your bot, switching lines etc...
    actually i was curious about this myself as i live in Hang Hau and commute to the island...if you search (for example) Hang Hau to North Point (15 mins) and North Pt to Central (13 mins) but Hang Hau to Central is 29 mins, so it seems they factor in the 1 minute to walk across the NP platform...they factor 3 minutes for interchange at QB e.g....

  5. #55

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    22,465
    Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    Having family living in tai Koo Shing would appear to be the best reason NOT to live there. While baby sitting might be handy - are you close to them or close to the HK family dynamic these days? If so, fine, you are probably on the wrong forum. If not, you may find that now you are an independent westerner they drive you crazy.
    How much experience do you have with Chinese inlaws or entrusting your children to babysitters? Just curious given how you incessantly rag on me for my genuine stay in your
    neck of the woods.

  6. #56

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    7,477
    Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    Having family living in tai Koo Shing would appear to be the best reason NOT to live there. While baby sitting might be handy - are you close to them or close to the HK family dynamic these days? If so, fine, you are probably on the wrong forum. If not, you may find that now you are an independent westerner they drive you crazy.
    My wife and I moved very near to my mother in law for the one reason that we'd rather she helped with our daughter than hire a helper.

    Obviously she's annoying now and then and we have our disagreements (as we would with anybody helping with such a sensitive issue) but overall she's extremely helpful and quite open minded. The most important thing is we know she does what she thinks is the right thing, with good intentions, and (sometimes with persuasion) she lets us have the final say on things. The biggest problem is probably spoiling her too much and we disagree oh things like temperature (she thinks 25 degrees is cold and 15 is arctic!)...

    Anyway, it seems like you're making stereotypical judgements when you say things like "the HK family dynamic" and also when you say "independent westerner." I know plenty of families in England for whom the grandparents play a role in the upbringing of children, too. Don't you?

    But whatever... sticks and stones and all that.
    Last edited by justjoe86; 11-11-2011 at 12:02 AM.
    SiuMaiTaiTai likes this.

  7. #57

    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    HK
    Posts
    14,586
    Quote Originally Posted by justjoe86:
    Mat. You keep assuming I'm saying something else. Here's what I disagreed with...



    All I was saying is that statement is misleading since there are areas of tuen mun as convenient (or more, or less) than gold coast. Indeed, the place in tuen mun most people know is around tuen mun town plaza which is a 1 minute walk from the MTR. (A reasonably fast commute now the mtr links directly to Austin and tsim sha tsui, and there are fast buses too)

    You implied gold coast is a different area altogether from tuen mun.

    Ok?
    I was replying to Bryant so not quite sure why u take it for u?

  8. #58

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Gold Coast Marina
    Posts
    17,941
    Quote Originally Posted by justjoe86:

    Anyway, it seems like you're making stereotypical judgements when you say things like "the HK family dynamic" and also when you say "independent westerner." I know plenty of families in England for whom the grandparents play a role in the upbringing of children, too. Don't you?
    Yes - and yes, I was absolutely making stereotypical judgements. The only point was to make the OP think a little about it rather than assuming it was a good idea, that was all. My sister lives near my parents (about 15 miles away) and they are very close, to I'm not at all anti-family. You just have to be sure you know what you are letting yourself in for

  9. #59

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    7,477
    Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    Yes - and yes, I was absolutely making stereotypical judgements. The only point was to make the OP think a little about it rather than assuming it was a good idea, that was all. My sister lives near my parents (about 15 miles away) and they are very close, to I'm not at all anti-family. You just have to be sure you know what you are letting yourself in for
    Hmmm well admittedly we tend to get the hell away from home anytime we have a day off together, and last chinese new year we left red packets for the unmarried youngsters (many older than us) and escaped to singapore! but overall I'd say living close to family does more good than harm. There are ways to find your freedom.

    Another bizarre example... I go to the gym every chance I get - to, erm, relax.
    MovingIn07 and pepe77 like this.

  10. #60

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Pampanga, Philippines
    Posts
    25,081
    Quote Originally Posted by dipper:
    Anyway the clear consensus from the posters is 'you should definitely live in the same place I live, it's clearly the best place to live' so that's clear. Hull will be along shortly to suggest the Phillipines.
    I suggest the Philippines. It is only 23 mins by ferry from Central.

Reply
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast