Like Tree163Likes

Do you regret moving to Hong Kong?

Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 18 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by carang:
    i think that is part of the problem... because so much is in chinese and advertised in chinese, most expats don't even know it exists.

just a note, in my years here, i've seen:

les mis
    phantom
    miss saigon
    joseph and the amazing technicolour dreamcoat
    stomp (they made a return appearance)
    cirque du soleil (not the one in macau, although i've seen that too)
    michael flattley (the tiger one, can't recall the name)
    i missed:
    cats

there is also the birdcage cirque playing....

my kids have seen:
    stickman (will be seeing it again next year)
    gruffalo X2
    gruffalo's child
    ben 10
    the snowman (local production with nury vittachi reading)

there IS stuff going on, you just need to know about it....
    We've seen many of the same things.

There is stuff going on for sure, there is an arts scene. I'd just argue its less vibrant than in other major cities with less choice.

Quote Originally Posted by hong kong pearl:
    I
    Granted having then moved abroad and come back, I do notice the air pollution is pretty bad and my friends with kids have to make lots of effort to get their kids into good schools, but I thought the quality of education in hk was pretty high compared to when I moved to Switzerland for high school. .
    Having to move to Switzerland for high school surely does not send a positive message about the state of affairs in Hong Kong. A developed world city should be able to provide adequate education and a balanced lifestyle for it's young people.

I guess I am of the half glass full type. Lots of cultural stuff to do - neighbourhood Chinese operas during ghost festival, Tai Hang fire dragon 3-day event, Cheung Chau bun festival, at least 4 or 5 dragon boat festivals, Chinese concerts practically every week in Hung Hom Colessium, Chinese musicals at the HKPA and the Cultural Centre every day, international touring orchestras/ballets at least once a quarter, small sinfonettas weekly, amateur theatre and even outdoor plays (in Central). One thing missing are the comedy clubs (though Take Out Comedy is trying) and jazz clubs that are everywhere in the West.

Mat and carang like this.

Quote Originally Posted by threelittlepigs:
    I guess I am of the half glass full type. Lots of cultural stuff to do - neighbourhood Chinese operas during ghost festival, Tai Hang fire dragon 3-day event, Cheung Chau bun festival, at least 4 or 5 dragon boat festivals, Chinese concerts practically every week in Hung Hom Colessium, Chinese musicals at the HKPA and the Cultural Centre every day, international touring orchestras/ballets at least once a quarter, small sinfonettas weekly, amateur theatre and even outdoor plays (in Central). One thing missing are the comedy clubs (though Take Out Comedy is trying) and jazz clubs that are everywhere in the West.
    You make a good point. I haven't tried half of this stuff and I really should.

One thing missing are the comedy clubs (though Take Out Comedy is trying) and jazz clubs that are everywhere in the West.
    You should check out Gecko on Hollywood Road for jazz. It's decent although haven't been for a while now.

Quote Originally Posted by Char Siu King:
    Having to move to Switzerland for high school surely does not send a positive message about the state of affairs in Hong Kong. A developed world city should be able to provide adequate education and a balanced lifestyle for it's young people.
    Maybe she moved there because her parents moved there....
    + Switzerland has some excellent schools and you can't beat its fresh air.

Quote Originally Posted by carang:
    i think that is part of the problem... because so much is in chinese and advertised in chinese, most expats don't even know it exists.

just a note, in my years here, i've seen:

my kids have seen:
    stickman (will be seeing it again next year)
    gruffalo X2
    gruffalo's child
    ben 10
    the snowman (local production with nury vittachi reading)

there IS stuff going on, you just need to know about it....
    Don't forget the Wiggles, Disney on Ice, Scotty and Lulu
    carang likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Char Siu King:
    You should check out Gecko on Hollywood Road for jazz. It's decent although haven't been for a while now.
    Cool, one more new place to try.

Cool, one more new place to try.
    Careful though, uit's full of french there!

Char Siu King likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mat:
    Careful though, uit's full of french there!

I've had enough of your anti-French attitude.

Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 18 ... LastLast