Like Tree163Likes

Do you regret moving to Hong Kong?

Closed Thread
Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 10 15 16 17 18 19 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by justjoe86:
    You have got to be kidding?
    Its would take a lot more than twice for me too. And I was BORN in London.
    Satay Sue likes this.

Same for me, no desire to move back to UK even for twice the money!

Quote Originally Posted by Satay Sue:
    Same for me, no desire to move back to UK even for twice the money!
    Triple it and I'd consider but otherwise no, My next move will probably be Singapore

You have got to be kidding?
    Same here. I would move to NY w/o hesitation (not because I like america but because in my field there are a lot of pretty interesting projects in South America and our NY office follows SA) but you would have to pay me a lot of money to move back to Europe/London.
    dear giant likes this.

Twice the money, after tax, I would consider...

I'd move to Toronto or Melbourne for the same amount of money (after tax). But it would take a bit more to entice me to NY and London. I've lived in NY (Manhattan), found the place incredible, but not sure I'd want to go back. London, when it's sunny, it's beautiful, but when it's dreary, it's really depressing.

Gilles said he wouldn't live in NY or London for DOUBLE the money he gets in HK.

A) I do not believe it for one second
    B) If someone said the converse (I.e. they wouldn't live in HK even if their salary was doubled) could you imagine how over protective he'd get of his beloved HK?

Gilles said he wouldn't live in NY or London for DOUBLE the money he gets in HK.

A) I do not believe it for one second
    B) If someone said the converse (I.e. they wouldn't live in HK even if their salary was doubled) could you imagine how over protective he'd get of his beloved HK?
    Believe what you want... I've gone to work in Africa for less than half I made in HK but have no interest in London or NY at all.

I have a good friend who wouldn't move to HK for all the money in the world and I also completely understand his point of view. He wouldn't move to NY or London either...
    Not everyone value the same things... and no place provides all things to all people.

I don't really care if people don't like HK, it's their prerogative. What I find less appropriate is if a place is portrayed though rose colored glasses and another through a very dark prism.

The US is not all about guns/crimes fat and ignorant people nor does it offer the best healthcare or education in the world to ALL its citizen. HK's failings and successes are the same.

What each people experience is often quite different and what people choose to get hung up on or value is also another thing.

In essence, I think that trying to label any place as "better" than another is just plain stupid because it's a matter of perspective. I don't think HK is better than NY or London but it currently suits my lifestyle and I would NEVER live in HK if I was stuck with only a couple of weeks holiday every year nor would I have come or would I stay without the financial incentives.
    Last edited by gilleshk; 23-11-2011 at 11:08 AM.
    dear giant likes this.

I'm not am expert in hk living or education by any means, but to have the best sort of life in hk, it seems like a good idea to bring your child up elsewhere (so they will get a fairly good school/life balance) but with a strong work ethic and discipline.
    Ensure they get a decent uni degree so that they can get into a nice big firm or business. Then they can move back to hk as expats and get the really good jobs. At least that seems to be the pattern. Hk locals seem to have a tougher time.

Seemed to be a good idea at the time. I was motivated more by lifestyle than financial (no dependants, no debt). One post was right, I did not do sufficient homework, especially on the working week. It's a bit of a shock to go from a 38hr week to 50hrs and 40 days leave pa down to just a week or so! Lived at the Regal Sha Tin for my short stay. No offense meant but I could hardly describe the NT's wide open spaces as anywhere near favourable even when the atmosphere allowed a lungful of relatively clean air. All countries are different and so are individual expectations. I got it wrong unfortunately, simple as that.