Like Tree30Likes

Teaching and pollution in Hong Kong

Reply
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
  1. #11

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Ex Sai Kunger
    Posts
    7,968
    Quote Originally Posted by justjoe86:
    If they're at UST they're not really teachers. They're probably conducting research etc. with a bit of lecturing on the side, which is a whole different ball game. For one thing, many of them can't teach to save their lives but just happen to be annoyingly clever.

    OP mentions 'teaching' in his title and 'school' in his post, though, so my guess would be it's not a uni position. Probably wrong!


    Actually they were lecturers (that's still a teacher that has a Masters or a PhD isn't it, semantics ? ) and by the sound of it they did that full time.....I wont mention which faculty they belonged to, but yes it was in a field of science that has a lot of practical, useful/benefit in HK. In fact, quite a few Geo Expaters use their services from time to time. A useful career that benefits others, I like those professions, especially when they don't sook and moan about the inequities of life, a breath of fresh air.
    Last edited by Skyhook; 18-11-2011 at 10:06 AM.

  2. #12

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    At home
    Posts
    262
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyhook:
    ... it was in a field of science that has a lot of practical, useful/benefit in HK. In fact, quite a few Geo Expaters use their services from time to time. ...
    Tropical Diseases?

  3. #13

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    1,113
    Original Post Deleted
    I disagree. He could rent a place for 25-30K, and after taxes etc have plenty left over for fun, travel, with money left over for saving. I say go for it!

  4. #14

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Clearwater Bay Road
    Posts
    5,657

    OP, I think the amount is really a good amount and you can live in NT or Discovery Bay area which are more green than other parts of HK. Have a comfortable lifestyle with a good enough amount of savings, which will help you move anywhere else in the world after few years here and settle down comfortably.


  5. #15

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    4,905

    Any teacher at the better international school makes above 50K/month from the basic salary and then if you add in housing some kind of responsibility allowance and bonuses, it's not that far off. I suspect the OP either has been offered an administrative post or has an offer from a post secondary institution.

    Pollution is a problem and you will feel it on certain days if you do a lot of exercise. The first few months when I arrived, it seemed my lungs were often irritated and I had a persistent cough. I got a high quality air purifier at home and adapted and now it's well over 10 years and I might get a cold once or twice a year and feel just as healthy as I ever felt in any other cities I've lived in.

    I do make sure I get out of HK and go somewhere away from any city with fairly clean air for at least one or two months a year... It works for me and beats paying insane amount of taxes to support irresponsible government spending.


  6. #16

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    4,024
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo:
    I won't even get out of bed for that amount
    Have you had a career change?

    The OP raises a valid point - pollution is an issue here compared to say North America but it is not a deal breaker for most. I'd be more concerned if I had young children and if they had issues than coming here as an adult.

    I have not read the stats on the long term effects here - cancer, etc but health should always be a consideration.

    How many saying just go for it smoke?

    Whereas in Canada there is greater awareness and concern for pollution and road safety here there is more of a frontier mentality where smokers smoke where ever and few worry about the safety of the transit vehicles they travel in or if there are seat belts in taxis as they aren't wearing them.

  7. #17

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    5,112
    Quote Originally Posted by russie:
    Hi,

    I am currently contemplating applying for a post at a school in Hong Kong. It is offering a good package - HK$92,000 a month plus relocation costs, medical scheme and bonus. However, after reading many forum sites, I'm a little concerned about the pollution issue. Many people are warning me not to apply because of the level of pollution and that many are leaving Hong Kong because of this. I visited HK back in December 2005 and didn't find it too bad. Maybe I was lucky (apparently, it has got a lot worse since then). Basically, should I let the pollution put me off applying for this post? I am a single male (37yrs) with no children. I have heard people say "Is any amount of money worth your health?" and I can see where they're coming from but I would like your opinions. What would you do?
    Thanks guys.

    PS Would HK$92,000 a month enable me to have a comfortable lifestyle in Hong Kong?
    Pollution is mostly in the form of air pollution in HK, which can get pretty bad in winter when the air blows in from the north carrying the fumes and dust of the mainland factories. Summer by contrast you get better weather with more chance of clear and blue skies albeit with high humidity. So there is a distinct seasonal variation in terms of pollution.

    But personally, pollution doesn't really affect me, it's not like people here are suddenly dropping dead all of a sudden from it.

    And if you think pollution is bad in Hong Kong, wait until you go to Beijjing...
    Last edited by Watercooler; 18-11-2011 at 02:54 PM.

  8. #18

    the pollution is pretty bad - i would never raise my kids here. I love jogging and there have been days where i decide not to jog around the park because it would end up being worse for my health....

    But if you are single then go for it.

    $92K a month will allow you to save probably 50% of your income.

    I say go for it - shack up with a chinese girl save like crazy then move back home.

    I can imagine teaching would be an very frustrating job - especially if you have to deal with crazy local parents?


  9. #19

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    HK
    Posts
    308

    Though pollution is bad, a recent report cited Hong Kong people have the highest life expectancy at an average age of 82.5 years. Hong Kong tops global health index - 11 - 2011 - News archive - News - News and media - Home

    Personally, I enjoy not having hayfever here, as opposed to back home. So, its not all bad!


  10. #20

    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Pampanga, Philippines
    Posts
    25,097
    Quote Originally Posted by Swell:
    Though pollution is bad, a recent report cited Hong Kong people have the highest life expectancy at an average age of 82.5 years. Hong Kong tops global health index - 11 - 2011 - News archive - News - News and media - Home

    Personally, I enjoy not having hayfever here, as opposed to back home. So, its not all bad!
    Liked the last paragraph of that article:

    "Paul Yip, Director of the HKJC Centre for Suicide Research and Prevention at the University of Hong Kong said ‘The success of a city cannot be measured only by its financial prowess; the mental health and the well-being of its residents must also be considered.’"

Reply
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast