Like Tree14Likes

Got an offer : Coming with wife and 2 year old baby - Need Suggestions?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Got an offer : Coming with wife and 2 year old baby - Need Suggestions?

Hi All,

I am Happy from India and this is my first post. Let me tell you that I am absolutely new to the GEOEXPAT world and would try my best to maintain the deco of the forum.

I am 29 years with 4-5 years of experience in the Finance + IT sector in India. I am happily married to my wife 3 years back and blessed with a babyboy in Dec 2008.

Recently I have got an offer to join an IT company situated at Quarry bay and the package they offered me 17000 HKD per month (Post negotiations). The only benefit they have given me is the Medical plan apart from the above salary. There is no House allowance and no child education allowance. I have few questions in my mind which I think you guys can help me in cracking :

1) Do you think that 17000 HKD is OKAY package if I live a normal standard life?
    2) What the average monthly expenses for the couple and a 2 year old kid.. if we eat out at home with the standard living. What are estimates of utility bills (For 1 BR apartment) like Electricity, water, telephone, internet, grocery etc etc.
    3) What budget I should kept aside for the 1 BR apartment with the given salary levels of 17000 HKD before government tax?
    4) Which area you guy suggest for the apartment as my office will be in QuarryBay? (Condition : Sometimes I need to go to Shenzhen as well)
    5) What budget I should keep aside for my child education in KG school?

The list is long... I hope you all understand the situation where I need to decide based on your replies and also by doing googleing. Hence request you all to please provide your best inputs.

Tx
    Happy

Hi Happy, you will love it in HK, Sunny, Rainbow and others will be glad to get to know you.

1) Do you think that 17000 HKD is OKAY package if I live a normal standard life?
    Personally, I think it's insufficient because you have a family.
    You will need in excess of 20k, better 25k.

2) What the average monthly expenses for the couple and a 2 year old kid.. if we eat out at home with the standard living. What are estimates of utility bills (For 1 BR apartment) like Electricity, water, telephone, internet, grocery etc etc.

There are many threads about it, just search. e.g. what's the bare minimum in HK

3) What budget I should kept aside for the 1 BR apartment with the given salary levels of 17000 HKD before government tax?

4) Which area you guy suggest for the apartment as my office will be in QuarryBay? (Condition : Sometimes I need to go to Shenzhen as well)

With your budget => far away from office

5) What budget I should keep aside for my child education in KG school?

no idea

Last edited by Morrison; 22-11-2011 at 07:30 PM.

honestly, I dont know your life in INdia and why you want to come here, ( Money or work experience ).
    I would not do it if I a. could not provide a good life to my family and b. save some money.
    That requires at least 30k net / month, else it is a rip off, you pay on top

Quote Originally Posted by happy.rocks:
    This is a very low salary for someone with 4-5yrs exp. What sort of company are you joining? Theyre getting you at slave labour rates, when I know useless secretaries earning $20-25k.

Even if you rent a place for $8-10k, this doesnt leave a lot left over for paying utilities, school fees, food, going out ect. Also begs the question whether you would be granted a VISA by immigration on such a low salary.

Thats a very low salary for someone coming to a foreign country with a family.
    What exactly is the job nature?

That is a very low offer, especially with your level of experience. It might even be insufficient for a work visa, 20k is commonly cited as the minimum level although I believe that's hearsay not a hard rule.

I would think the quality of life on 17k a month would be very low, and I wouldn't consider accepting that offer. Housing will consume half your budget and you won't get somewhere nice for that - expect to travel a lot.

I think your potential employer is taking the piss a bit, that salary is too low for someone with experience and medical benefits are not useful given the free and good quality public health system. A single guy might get by on 17k but you won't enjoy your life supporting a family.

Rent and school fees are going to take up practically all your money. I think the offer is too low for a family

There was a post last year about an Indian family who were having trouble making ends meet. All their friends were earning more and they started spending more, which lead to fights etc.

17K is too low. You will spending at least 10-12K on housing. 3K on an international kindergarten.

Don't do it. You would not make ends meet with that amount. It's a joke.

no way would i come here with a family for that... mother of 2 speaking.

even for a single, it isn't great... with a family, forget it.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast