Like Tree84Likes

Disappointed by HK

Closed Thread
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by TheBrit:
    Enjoy your little pocket of isolation, and I'll continue to correct any lies about transportation times as and when I see them.
    Enjoy your life on top of a shopping mall in a souless part of HK and we will continue to correct any lies about the lack of easily accessible nature in HK as and whe we see them.

What is the difference between an open space (very desirable apparently) and a pocket of isolation (not so desirable apparently)?

I'm curious!

Quote Originally Posted by justjoe86:
    What is the difference between an open space (very desirable apparently) and a pocket of isolation (not so desirable apparently)?

I'm curious!
    Indeed especially given that at work everyone strive for a pocket of isolation (closed office - bosses) instead of an open space (staff)....

Quote Originally Posted by Mat:
    Indeed especially given that at work everyone strive for a pocket of isolation (closed office - bosses) instead of an open space (staff)....

LOL - brilliant

Where do you live and where were you living before _ I think that is the key issue. If you come from NZ or Australia I would not be surprised but if you are from downtown London I would be surprised to be honest...not to mention the weather in London.

I spend almost all my weekends out (running on trail - literally behind my home) or dragon boating or simply hiking with friends or seating outside like yesterday on the grass of the Weatin in Macau.

Not to mention the regular junk trip, BBQ...

I certainly spent much less time outside when I was living in Paris.
    Lived all over the world and in central London for quite a significant amount of time. Much like you I'm a very active person, and make the most of Hong Kong. And it does have it's great points...I don't dispute that.

Quote Originally Posted by HowardCoombs:
    Now that I understand and accept your point, I would ask you to do the same with mine:

although the parents may feel better about the differences and the quality of the activities "back home" or "somewhere else", Hong Kong as just as many opportunities for exploration and exercise as any other city.

In fact, I would argue that comparing with other big cities (Manhattan, London, LA, Paris etc etc), Hong Kong has many more varied activities for kids, closer to the city and these locales can be reached more conveniently. These activities may be different but they are equally beneficial to the growing needs of children.

My most important point is : it doesn't matter how the kids get their exercise. The fact that they do and have the opportunity to do is more important on how big or how green the grass is.

If you are not near the bike paths, then go for a hike. The path is too far, go for a swim. You dont like swimming, go climbing indoor or outdoor. Horses? Football? Rugby? Netball? Sailing? There are many many choices at very affordable costs.
    so basically you are focused on quantity...that's great. I am more focused on quality. To each his own I suppose.

I know these are 'urban parks', and its probably much the same with many parks around the world if your in a big city, but if you click through the links and have a look at the pictures many of them are basically just a bit of concrete.

List of urban public parks and gardens in Hong Kong - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

TheBrit and dear giant like this.

Quote Originally Posted by anothercanuck:
    so basically you are focused on quantity...that's great. I am more focused on quality. To each his own I suppose.
    I do not thnk that is what he means.

It's just different.

If you like windsurfing, in HK you can, in London you can't.

If your kids like running barefoot in the grass it's easier in London but if your kids like rock climbing it's easier in HK.

Ppl focuses on activitis they are used to do back home and find "normal" or the "norm" or the way their kids would/should be happy (because that is how they were raised) instead of seeing other opportunities offered by HK.
    HowardCoombs and MovingIn07 like this.

Enjoy your life on top of a shopping mall in a souless part of HK and we will continue to correct any lies about the lack of easily accessible nature in HK as and whe we see them.
    Well, you'll be looking a long time then since I was talking about a lack of parks, not a lack of hiking trails. I know English is not your first language, but your desire to constantly beat up straw men does you no credit.
    dear giant likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by luckycat:
    Guantanamo, Tripoli or Middlesborough
    The citizens of guantanamo and Tripoli will be outraged at this association.
    luckycat and SiuMaiTaiTai like this.