Like Tree1Likes

Brewing beer in HK?

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

I've received a quote from Andis Lau at HK Oxygen last year (his email is Andis.Lau at hko.linde.com). They quoted me HK$198 for a refill, but I assume that it doesn't include pickup/delivery (I believe delivery is about $28, or $53 for HK Island). They do have a plant in Tai Po where you can drop off your cylinder....
    They also rent out cylinders for HK$295 (size G, whatever that means) plus $55 monthly rental charge, and a $1200 deposit.

Hope that helps....

Just out of curiosity, if there are several people doing this, how feasible is it to get some sort of collective going (get a wholesale license maybe) to import ingredients at what you would pay in the states/uk/oz for?

Ordering grain etc. from Singapore is going to break the bank....

found the place

Found HKO easily in Tai Po today. I had two bottles and they wanted about 350 each to hydro test them (it had been more than 5 years) and I think another 295 each for the refill. He said it would take ten days due to the hydro test and they do deliver the filled bottles for an extra $58.

Dry hopped that IPA today...after two months, it oughta be ready.

Yeah, a little longer than necessary, but I've been out of the country quite a bit!

Thanks for the tip, Jay.

More CO2...

Just in case... they do CO2 refills at the aquarium shops, for about HK230. It's only technical grade CO2, but, hey, in the US the homebrewers get their CO2 at the welding supply stores...

Here's the address:
    Techno Aquarium
    138 Tung Choi Street
    Mong Kok
    2391-3228

Hey guys, I just contacted HKO about CO2 refills, and they said they do not do "food grade" refills n private containers - does anyone know if it matters what grade of CO2 you get?

Or is the CO2 one gets from that aquarium store just fine?

Thanks -

Food grade vs others

This is odd, because I'm certain I have obtained food grade twice now from HKO, both in my private bottles.

As to which grade we need, I don't think it matters much so long as when you open the valve a bit and take a sniff that it doesn't smell foul.

I've encountered food grade in the Philippines that will make you gag, and have used industrial grade in the US. In the Philippines, I am forced to use Instrument Grade since all the others smell rancid-even food grade.

I would stop by the aquarium place and have a sniff (not too much)if it is more convenient.

Let us know how it all turns out!

keg fridge

while we're on the topic of C02, anyone know where I can buy a keg fridge? With all the bars in town I know there must be restaurant supply places, but so far have only found places that have a minimum order of 167 fridges, a bit much for our tiny apartment....

Ok, update - after being told twice that they wont do it, I called them (out of pure stubbornness) and to make a long story short, they are coming out today to pick it up. Turn around time is around 2 weeks they say....

Weird, but glad it worked out. I'm up to sample any brews you gentlemen need professionally *burp*, er, sampled.

Yeah, HKO can be a pain to work with... in any case, the stuff I got at the aquarium place is fine. I went with HKO first, as I had a US cylinder (and the threads don't match). Got me an HK cylinder at the aquarium place, so I don't have to deal with 2-week turnaround times...