Like Tree110Likes

Standard of living is getting worse in Hong Kong?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Standard of living is getting worse in Hong Kong?

Hello all,

Personally i haven't been using this forum for a very long time!

Having been living in Hong Kong for almost 4 years, despite my compensation package gets increased at a decent rate year on year, i personally find the living standard in Hong Kong is getting worse compared to what it was... i.e.: housing cost is getting sheer ridiculous, city getting way over populated with people from the mainland, pollution is just getting worse, not much of an art scene here, expats aren't generally happy, getting kids into a decent school is just a nightmare (though it is not my plate!), people aren't that nice anymore in general... but worse of all... HK is a rather filthy city.

There are obviously some good sides on the city, like super efficiency and being able to get any groceries from the world.

On a side note, I got offered an opportunity to move to Singapore for 2 years and decided to give it a try... that said I have reservations on the lifestyle there. Nonetheless, I get to come back to Hong Kong often.

Not quite sure if i am the only one who has the same sentiment... What are your thoughts?

dear giant likes this.

Singapore has better urban landscaping (more greenery) and more use of English, but Hong Kong is bigger and has more things to do, see this thread on HK vs Singapore living:

http://hongkong.geoexpat.com/forum/53/thread199597.html

Last edited by Watercooler; 06-01-2012 at 02:35 PM.

is someone holding a gun to your head forcing you to stay in hong kong?

If answer is no then the A12 bus goes to the airport.

If answer is yes then tell them to pull the trigger and put you out of your misery.

amrit.bharadwaj likes this.

Totally agree with you. Everything is becoming more expensive and housing is definitely the surrogate income tax here. Losing it's shine over time.

TheBrit, JaredHK and dear giant like this.

Watercooler, thanks for the info.

aliendavid: Your sense of humor doesn't work here. I am just trying to have a discussion and see other people's views. And no, I don't take bus to the airport.

agree 100% but but keep it to myself to avoid getting remarks like the one from aliendavid

dear giant and Football16 like this.

OP, I have a feeling you might regret moving to Singapore. Sure it's nice and well-ordered there, with somewhat lower housing prices. But the tax there is higher than HK. Moreover, it can be a little sterile in Singapore, for all it's faults, I prefer Hong Kong over Singapore.You get a sense of "realness" that seems to be lacking in that coccon called Singapore.

Satay Sue and Fiona in HKG like this.

Sometimes I do have moments of homesickness for Europe, I'll probably never have a detached house again....the selfishness here gets me down, the general grubbiness, although isn't nice when it has a good wash like yesterday when it rained a bit......I think of all those things, then I remember, the crime, the violence, the Friday and Saturday night drunks, Council Tax, Income Tax/Skatt, VAT/MOMS, over-regualtion, then I look at my income and try to imagine giving nearly half to the Government.....then I get over the homesickness and carry on :-)

Morrison, dear giant, WMDS and 1 others like this.

You'll miss Hong Kong, just as you'll always miss something about any of the places you've ever lived. On a more practical note, labor laws in Singapore are virtually non-existent. At least, Hong Kong has the legacy British labor standards from which to start. If and when there are layoffs, companies start off in Singapore where the laws are more "flexible".

dear giant likes this.

I don't think you'll prefer Singabore....

nassaugirl likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast