Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By jimbo
  • 1 Post By virago

Single guy contemplating move from US

Closed Thread

Question Single guy contemplating move from US

Hello,

I've done a bit of research on here already and want to thank everyone for their input, I've found it very helpful! I'm still in the job search phase, but have decided I'd like to make a trip to Hong Kong soon to check out the city and to make sure it's a place I'd like to live before I dive in head first searching for a job.

It will be an aviation job (pilot, non-airline) so obviously I'll be going to the airport a lot - and almost always with luggage. After some research I'm thinking Tung Chung is nice due to its location near the airport, but Wan Chai, Mid-Levels, and Sheung Wan are also appealing since they're in the city and close to everything else (including train station). I plan on checking out each area, but does anyone have suggestions? I'm 30 years old and single, so I don't particularly want a sleepy community and want to be able to meet similar people.

Also, what other suggestions do you have about what I should do/see during my visit?

Thanks!

Tung Chung and Discovery Bay are convenient for the airport but not exactly a hotbed of activity for the single guy. You'd be bored to tears within a month in both places.

Football16 and Fiona in HKG like this.

You need to come here first and find a short term place maybe before choosing a location as Jimbo is right.

But everyday long travel to work can get you down as well.

I see air flight crews in my building in Sheung Wan but I suspect they aren't going to the airport every day so it is not a huge deal probably for them.

Then your budget is an important consideration too as location and budget are linked here.

if you lived in Hong Kong you can always grab the very convenient airport express to the airport. It is a 20 minute ride and extremely comfortable. I live in Tung Chung right near the airport and have to agree it's not for single guys.

My friend is also a pilot as well (non commercial) he doesn't have to travel into the office that much, so if you are in a similar situation, then live wherever you want.

He is the same age as you, and i'm just a few years younger, the two of us and a few other friends live close to the Olympic MTR. Personally I find this to be a very good location for my needs. Short commute to work (Causeway Bay) short trip to Central, and a decent trip to the airport.

So if you do have a little bit of flexibility like my pilot friend, just come here and find a serviced apartment for a month. Then explore the city for a few weeks until you find the most suitable situation for you.

It's very hard to give suggestions on where to live, because one unknown factor could be a complete game changer. Anyway, HK is a great city... have fun with the planning and don't worry about it too much. I haven't run into any expats who struggled with their move.

Good luck - if you want me to put you in touch with my friend just send me a private message.

airport express IS fast, but it is also quite expensive, especially if you are doing it round-trip every day.

Single foreigners are not welcome now in HK (from a reliable local source). He complains that they keep stealing the local girls away.

eb.designs likes this.

Hello JDE. I been here for almost 8 months now. Im also a pilot. Non-airline (good thing)! Us non-airline guys tend to work...very little. I live in Kowloon side, near Olimpic Station.
    With your job, you shouldn't have any issues living in Central, but again, your looking at over $2500USD for a little 500-600sq ft place. Prices here are inflated bro!
    I have a nice home here in Tai Kok Tsui about 800sq ft, brand new which runs me $2k. The transportation here is really really good. I would say...its one of the best networks in the world.
    I bet you won't be going to the airport more than...once a week! So no issues there!
    As for HongKong...I come from LA/OC in California...and all I have to say is this: Im not planning on moving back anytime soon. USA is not the best place to live at this time.

PM me if you have any more questions...Im also 31/flying Private Jets!

Cheers...

Quote Originally Posted by Football16:
    You need to come here first and find a short term place maybe before choosing a location as Jimbo is right.

But everyday long travel to work can get you down as well.

I see air flight crews in my building in Sheung Wan but I suspect they aren't going to the airport every day so it is not a huge deal probably for them.

Then your budget is an important consideration too as location and budget are linked here.
    The A10 bus from Sheung Wan is fast to the airport, maybe 40-45min. It is the last stop before going western tunnel and straight to the airport. Sheung Wan is also close to Central, so you will find plenty of nightlife.